Pawn shop bugera 6262 amplifier - low volume fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawn shop bugera 6262 amplifier - low volume fix

Bought a bulgera 6262 at a local pawn shop. Took it home and plugged it in to my 4x12 cabinet and it works but the volume is low even when cranked all the way up. If i plug in to the fx loop its much better so I assume something is wrong with the preamp section. It was $216 out the door so a fairly good deal for a fully working amp but maybe not so much for a broken one. Will replacing the preamp tubes help?

Originally posted by delray View Post
    If i plug in to the fx loop its much better
    Is that plugging another amp into the FX return? Try using a guitar cord to take FX send -> FX return. If that fixes it, the problem is dirty contact on the FX jack.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Try tube substitution first, yes. It's an easy first step. It's not likely all of them, so get a known good preamp tube and swap it out in each position to see if it makes any difference.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
        Is that plugging another amp into the FX return? Try using a guitar cord to take FX send -> FX return. If that fixes it, the problem is dirty contact on the FX jack.
        I had plugged a guitar in there and it was much louder. I tried your suggestion of cord from send to return and that didn't seem to help.

Comment

OK.
          The Dude has given you a next step. If you don't have an 'extra' tube, rolling the tubes in the amp can tell. Without a knowledge of which-tubes-do-what, it can be frustrating to solve for this if you can't eliminate the problem, only move it around.
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

OK.
            The Dude has given you a next step. If you don't have an 'extra' tube, rolling the tubes in the amp can tell. Without a knowledge of which-tubes-do-what, it can be frustrating to solve for this if you can't eliminate the problem, only move it around.
            Swapped some of the tubes around. Event went up to guitar center and bought another 12ax7 to put in to the mix. Results are still the same. There is something else interesting that is showing up. If I have the volume maxed out and turn off the amp right before it shuts off I will get really loud volume out of it for a sec.

A complete set of tubes will set me back $150 so at this point i don't know if its worth it.

Comment

I think we can eliminate tubes at this point. If you get expected behavior out of the power section, the expensive power tubes are just fine, along with the PI tube and rectifier tube (if the amp has one).

Comment

I think we can eliminate tubes at this point. If you get expected behavior out of the power section, the expensive power tubes are just fine, along with the PI tube and rectifier tube (if the amp has one).
                I am wondering if it has something to do with not having a pedal controller/fx loop on/off issue. Regardless I am going to take it back today. Not worth $200 at this point to me.

Comment

These are known to have junky tubes from the factory. That being said, i got one here i bought brand new, paid $89, 2015?,i think it was a price error but a few of us on a guitar forum got them.

https://slickdeals.net/e/7963889-bug...-amp-89-99?v=1
                  Last edited by mozz; 12-15-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X