Need help with Kalamazoo Model 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Kalamazoo Model 1

I have a Kalamazoo Model 1 that's giving me some problems I hope you guys can help me suss out.

The cabinet disintegrated years ago, now it's just a head and I've modded it to suit my tastes. It sounds - when working properly - infinitely better than it did stock.

I decided that I wanted to try the Herzog line out with it, so I installed it on a piece of angle aluminum attached to the chassis. I never even got to hear how it sounded before the amp started its current weirdness. The Herzog circuit appears to have pushed something beyond its limit into quasi-failure mode. The Herzog circuit itself seems to be working fine. And I have tried disconnecting it from the amp - the odd behavior persists.

So when I turn the amp on it works fine at low volume. When I hit it hard it seems a little distorted but it always was a bit of a hothead. But then when I turn it up louder it gets a static-ey kind of distortion like something not making good contact. And then when I turn it up yet louder and hit a chord it will clamp down and completely kill the signal ... which then, if I stop playing, will return after 10-30 seconds, fading in, taking maybe a second to come to full strength.

That sounds like it could be related to the power supply electrolytics. But they appear healthy enough. There is no inordinate hum. I replaced the caps twenty years ago with 30 uF caps (all I could get locally). The amp hasn't been played all that much. I doubt it's the caps.

I cleaned all the tube sockets with contact cleaner, and tightened the contacts on the first tube. I tried replacing the preamp and power tubes (I don't have a spare rectifier tube). I went through and checked all the resistors and replaced two of the remaining original caps (the R9 330 K cap read 7.8 K!). I've replaced all of the original caps. I checked all the solder joints and re-melted most, if not all, of them.

I've hit a wall. I can't think of anything else to try. Could this be an OT problem? There is a bit of a hot smell that I can't recall noticing before. The transformer looks normal.

http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/.../M1/schem.html

its a simple amp,check the voltages according to schematic,are the coupling caps new?

Comment

The model two I repaired needed filter caps and 3 prong cord and it was sounding great.

You can always try swapping out your 30 year old ones to see if it makes a difference, can't hurt.

Comment

Are you using a "Cliff" style plastic jack or are you mounting a "Switchcraft" style jack to the the chassis ground. The circuit may need to be isolated from chassis ground.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          Are you using a "Cliff" style plastic jack or are you mounting a "Switchcraft" style jack to the the chassis ground. The circuit may need to be isolated from chassis ground.
          It's the original metal jack. The amp has worked fine for the 25 or so years I've had it.

Have any of you ever had a problem like this, where the amp distorts in an ugly, static-ey fashion and then completely kills the audio when you hit it with a hard chord? But then the sound returns when you let it rest a few seconds. I've never experienced anything like this. It's acting like an overzealous compressor or something.

Comment

Yes, I have had that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
              Yes, I have had that happen.
              LOL! Well, what did you do? Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

They're only twenty. But I suppose I could temporarily parallel some alongside the ones in there and see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

Is the Hertzog line out a new jack? Is it mounted to the chassis. Did you convert the amp to a Herzegovina unit and use the original jack? Lots of potential ground issues here. The Hertzog mod is 25 years old?

Comment

Sounds like you may have oscillation. Did you remove all the associated mod circuitry or just disconnect it?
                    If you have wires hanging there from the mod it might still affect it.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Herzegovina unit? Say what? I'll have to look that up.

I did use a new jack. The aluminum mounting for the Herzog is screwed to the chassis. I'll double check for contact. I only just put installed that circuit in a couple days ago.

Comment

I did just disconnect but not remove the Herzog stuff.

I suspect oscillation as well. I still haven't gotten a consistent condition out of the amp to fully describe it. But yesterday the amp signal would die, and the thing that revived it - oddly - was to clip an alligator lead to the 47K input resistor (the other end attached to nothing). When I do that I get a bit of a high frequency, hissy sort of feedback, and the signal returns. Weird. At first I thought the problem lie with the first gain stage of V1 but I couldn't find anything to fix there, so I looked elsewhere and still found nothing.

Comment

What is this Herzegovina unit you speak of, stranger? I can find nothing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy View Post
                            What is this Herzegovina unit you speak of, stranger? I can find nothing about it.
                            Don’t cha just love ASP? Seriously.. Try floating that jack and see if there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                              Don’t cha just love ASP? Seriously.. Try floating that jack and see if there is a difference.
                              will do

Comment

Working...
                              X