Tone Bender- diy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Bender- diy?

Hi chaps- I think Im in need of a Tone Bender! & got some pedal build parts like a suitable 2-knob alu box/ switch to house it (unless it needs one of those huAge cool old grey boxes.. assuming not actually neccessary to be this big-?).

I'd like advice on building a clone.. so can anyone cast any basic light for a novice?

Thanks, SeaChief

I don't know Tone Bender from Adam, but it looks like the first thing you have to do is decide which one you want. There are different versions with different circuits - seems mostly ripped off from elsewhere.

EDIT: CORRECTED LINK!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_Bender
    Last edited by rjb; 12-18-2018, 04:50 AM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

They've got PCBs, parts lists, and full instructions Here>http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

You'll find them about 1/3 of the way down the page under 'classics'

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        I don't know Tone Bender from Adam, but it looks like the first thing you have to do is decide which one you want. There are different versions with different circuits - seems mostly ripped off from elsewhere.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZsWs7Tw6A
        I don't know if youtube got hacked, but I followed your link and ended up on a Allman Brothers concert. Well, you know how the internet is. Tonebenders, indeed!
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

There are many, many iterations of this circuit.

Pick one & post the schematic.

Keep in mind that the circuit utilized germanium transistors.

So, by its very nature, the germanium three-transistor circuit is a finicky design. It seems to sound best with components that are obsolete and difficult to procure. It begs to be tweaked and optimized and fussed over.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
            I don't know if youtube got hacked, but I followed your link and ended up on a Allman Brothers concert.
            I screwed up- meant to post a link to Wikipedia. Its fixed now.

The YT link was Flaco Jimenez & Freddy Fender playing Frosty the Snowman. But I can see how you could get them confused with the Allman Brothers.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
              I screwed up- meant to post a link to Wikipedia. Its fixed now.

The YT link was Flaco Jimenez & Freddy Fender playing Frosty the Snowman. But I can see how you could get them confused with the Allman Brothers.
              I did enjoy Freddy and Flaco. From Freddy, well, I meandered. I did say I ended up on...
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Good link rjb. Tbh I'm needing suggestions firstly on which one to go for. I can't tell a heap of difference between a YT demo of all the mk 1-4 etc, tho mk1 seemed to have more complexity.

I was wondering if anyone's actually made one?

Comment

I've never built one, but if you can't tell much difference between them the most sensible choice is to build the simplest circuit. Right?
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Well Id say no not neccessarily; if the simplest circuit costs alot more, &/ or is far more difficult to source the parts for, is problematic regarding getting xyz 'just right'.

Im really needing advice from anyone whose built one. I thought they were a diy'ers ideal clone.. they look made from pretty few parts, & sound great generally speaking afaict/ far better than a generic 'distortion' pedal, which I built a rat clone of & seems about 3x as complex with horrible fiddly 8-leg transistor whanots in, a diy n'mare from my pov to solder in.

Comment

This got me interested, so I ordered a board for a germanium three knob version. 2015 edition. Coincidentally, just last week I ordered an assortment of around 200 germanium transistors along with some mounting sockets. I'll add any other components that I need to an order that I'm putting together already.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Pastyface.gif
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	852473

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                        Well Id say no not neccessarily; if the simplest circuit costs alot more, &/ or is far more difficult to source the parts for, is problematic regarding getting xyz 'just right'.

Im really needing advice from anyone whose built one. I thought they were a diy'ers ideal clone.. they look made from pretty few parts, & sound great generally speaking afaict/ far better than a generic 'distortion' pedal, which I built a rat clone of & seems about 3x as complex with horrible fiddly 8-leg transistor whanots in, a diy n'mare from my pov to solder in.
                        There a lot worse out there to desolder or solder in than a jrc 4558. They're preatty easy peasy, maybe you need more practice, which I got mine from deconstrucing various electronics. i figured if I messed it up oh well. but it was good practice cause with the iron at 408c i can zip them out pretty quick no traces lifted.

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Sea Chief.

Have you read this part of my post?
                          "Keep in mind that the circuit utilized germanium transistors.

So, by its very nature, the germanium three-transistor circuit is a finicky design. It seems to sound best with components that are obsolete and difficult to procure. It begs to be tweaked and optimized and fussed over. "

You are traveling down a road from Hell.

Comment

This is a good demo
                            https://youtu.be/VdJWv4emZdY

Comment

There are a great many things that are called "Tonebender". Some are essentially derived from the basic Fuzz Face circuit, some akin to the Big Muff Pi, and others of a different basic architecture. I'm assuming that your desire to make one is because you heard the name associated with a particular artist or artists whose tone appealed to you. Who might those be? That might point towards the more relevant schematic/circuit, and whatever guidance about parts, construction tips, etc. might be of use.

Comment

Working...
                              X