No announcement yet.

Tone Bender- diy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What timing! This just arrived in my inbox.
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...eid=aae0a9e720
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
        This is a good demo
        https://youtu.be/VdJWv4emZdY
        Many of those sound bad, biased close / past cut off.
        Sticking AC128s into everything (without tweaking for a suitable operating point) may not be a valid approach.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Many thanks chaps for the replies & info. The link from rjb has lots of info in the folks' replies twds btm of page in fact, including ref to a couple of diy sites which Id forgotten all about.

Very useful- appreciated. I'll set about with a plan & report back.

Until then- merry christmas! Sea Chief.

Comment

I've ordered parts for two different variants of this. One, the schematic that I attached earlier, and also one very close to the Sola Sound MKII original circuit. http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mkII.phpThe schematic at the top of the page is the one I'll use along with the recommended modifications. I'll build it on perf board. I'm off to San Diego for the Holiday weekend, but when I get home, I'll be testing transistors.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	mkIIboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	852544

Comment

I have almost everything together for both pedals. The parts that I'm missing, are on the way. There weren't any suitable transistors in the batch that I got, so I ordered a couple of matched sets from a seller on ebay. I found a nice layout that I'll use to build the MKII on perfboard. There's a lot of interesting history related to these. I'm glad Sea Chief got this rolling.
              turretbender.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                I have almost everything together for both pedals. The parts that I'm missing, are on the way. There weren't any suitable transistors in the batch that I got, so I ordered a couple of matched sets from a seller on ebay. I found a nice layout that I'll use to build the MKII on perfboard. There's a lot of interesting history related to these. I'm glad Sea Chief got this rolling.
                [ATTACH]51803[/ATTACH]
                Hi John just got this in an email thought it might be of interest to you.

https://www.electrosmash.com/germanium-fuzz
                nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                  Hi John just got this in an email thought it might be of interest to you.
                  Thanks Jason. I've been checking out Fuzz Face variants. These look as good as any, and they're cheap enough, so I ordered a PCB, and pair of transistors. You can't have too many fuzz pedals.. can you?

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                    Thanks Jason. I've been checking out Fuzz Face variants. These look as good as any, and they're cheap enough, so I ordered a PCB, and pair of transistors. You can't have too many fuzz pedals.. can you?
                    I've got about 20 of those russian UFO transistors when I have a chance to play I need to build one up.
                    nosaj

Electrosmash has some good pedal breakdowns you should check them out.
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I've got about 20 of those russian UFO transistors when I have a chance to play I need to build one up.
                      nosaj
                      I've got a bunch of Russian, and Asian transistors with similar values. That's why I'm anxious to see how well they work in the electrosmash circuit.

Electrosmash has some good pedal breakdowns you should check them out.
                      Thanks Jason. I checked out their site. There's some cool stuff there, but they're pretty centered on their arduino dsp pedals, and their LM386 based mini amps. I thought the name was familiar, and that's why I remember them.

I don't want to get too far off topic In Sea Chief's thread, but since we're talking about Fuzz Face for the moment.

Check out the kit I found on ebay. It comes with AC128 germanium transistors. (it's a crapshoot as to whether, or not they're good ones, but that can be fixed) At $22 it's a small gamble, so I ordered one of these too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Fuzz-Fa...72.m2749.l2649

Comment

I decided to not use the layout that I linked to in an earlier post, and instead of building it on perf board as I had planned, I decided to make a custom eyelet board. I have some grey forbon, and eyelets on hand, so why not? I did a mock-up of the circuit on my breadboard, including all of the connections so I can lay out the eyelets. It adds a little more DIY , but will make it unique. This is fun stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bndr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	852690

Comment

Unless you want to mount DIP ICs, eyelet boards rule for "serious prototypes"
                          No design (save a basic sketch on the back of an envelope) or etching, far cleaner than perfboard (where replacing parts is a mess), a single hole is actually a node and holds 3 or 4 parts legs so design and drilling is simpler, whatīs not to like?
                          I still keep the bench type eyeletter and the 1/8" dies bought in late 60īs "to make boards like Fender did", still in daily use.
                          Congratulations on your build.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks Juan. I realized how awful a cut-up piece of perf board was going to look, and changed plans. I bought my eyelet setting tool back when I first started winding pickups. This is such a simple circuit, It makes it a great candidate for this.

Comment

It turned out that the tiny eyelet tool that I use for pickups was too small. Not being sure what would be better, 2mm versus 3mm, I ordered both along with punches, and dies. The 2mm kit showed up today, and the other is due tomorrow. I'm curious to see how many leads will fit in a 2mm. I'll check it out later, but it looks about perfect for this application. I'm anxious to get back to work on this.

Comment

I've got 6 pcb's for tonebenders on my bench right now. Word to the wise, fuzzcentral has a lot of mistakes on the website, don't trust any of the schematics. Also, few others things. Are you testing the transistors for gain and leakage? You need a certain amount of leakage for these to work properly. You also don't need the perfect gains and especially in the order of 70,70, 100 that everybody says you need. Most Russian transistors of the pnp variety, will have about 0 leakage, they often will not work at all, older date coded ones will have leakage. I have close to 2000 russians here and are not from eBay.

For all advice, search on diystompboxes and look for posts by LucifersTrip, aron, Electric Warrior and about 10 others, they have built and troubleshooted a lot of these. Electric Warrior has posted the voltages from a original good sounding unit, so you want to be near that ballpark. Also, don't do the bias pot thing on the 8.2k resistor on Q3, leave that alone and if you have to tweak the bias, use the collector of Q2, which may be 47k or 100k depending on which trannys you use. Also the base resistor on Q1 sometimes is 100k , other times 10k.

My first board right now is going into a open enclosure, transistor sockets, 100 ohm resistor on the 1k fuzz pot(to stop the wide open oscillation these are known to do), switch for 100k/10k on Q1base, switch for 100k/47k Q2collector, and test points so i can meter Q2c and Q3c voltages. I have it working beautiful with totally stock resistor values, just by swapping out transistors of the proper leakage and secondly, gain.

Comment

Working...
                                X