No announcement yet.

Sony MDR-V6 speaker does not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not soldered anything yet. I only placed the wires onto the speaker with my fingers. Should I now solder the wires onto their corresponding solder glob to see if the speaker will work? Can I solder the wires anywhere onto their corresponding solder glob, or is there a wire trace or something else that I need to locate and solder onto that?

Comment

Solder to the same glob the wire was previously connected to. Making the connection just by touching the wire will probably not work with this type of wire, you need to solder it.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I soldered each wire to the same glob that it was originally connected to, and the speaker still does not work. All of the wire strands were grouped into their correct color as far as I can tell with my magnifying glass. What do I try next? It does not matter what part of the correct solder glob the wires are soldered to, correct? Thanks.

Comment

Easy: IF speaker works, its voice coil has continuity
          I placed one lead on one solder glob on the speaker and the other lead on the other glob and got a reading of 68 Ohms.
          , AND plug is properly soldered but whole circuit is still open,
          I placed one of my multi-meter leads at the wire plug in various positions and the other lead onto each exposed wire in various positions, but my meter did not beep detecting continuity. I also placed one meter lead at the base of the wire insulation and the other lead at each wire end, but the meter still did not detect continuity.
          then wire is bad.

Junk the old one and use fresh one.

And remember that to check continuity on enameled wire, you must first tin it, otherwise your probes are touching insulating varnish.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I guess before you scrap the entire cable, you can cut the plug off and see if you get continuity. You might get away with replacing only the plug rather than the whole cable. Especially if there has been a lot of flexing where the cable meets the plug.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I twisted the cable plug when it was inserted into the port on my computer and the right speaker started working. So the problem was both faulty wiring in the right speaker and a problem with the computer port.

The cable plug that is inserted in my computer is on a cable extension that is new. I believe that before I started using this new extension cord that the right speaker would start working sometimes when I would twist the plug on the original cable also. So the computer jack is faulty. The wiring to the right speaker was also a problem because it was frayed so badly, and when I would moved that wire either near the left or right speaker the right speaker would work again.

But I just tested continuity to the right speaker and left speaker wires from the original cable plug and got continuity to the left speaker but no continuity to the right speaker which is confusing. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Replace whole wire from plug to speakers, what´s confusing about that?

Stop wasting your and our time with 33 year old frayed wire.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The confusing part is that there is no continuity but the speaker works,

post edited posters lack of gentlemanly behavior
                  Last edited by nosaj; 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Comes here looking for free advice, starts cussing at people who offer it to him.
                    Last edited by glebert; 01-17-2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X