Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extech Accuracy Question

Hi everybody,
    My Extech LCR 380193 meter gives slightly higher DC readings than my Voltcraft VC 130. I'm puzzled and confused. Anybody knows which meter to trust more? What is your experience? Does the Extech have a calibration feature?
    The Extech reads DC 7,5 on a Humbucker while the other Multimeter reads just about 7,38 DC. That's a lot of difference in my world
    Last edited by Telemachos; 12-29-2018, 08:21 PM.

That's a lot of difference in my world
    That's DC resistance, right? Does that .12K make an audible difference?
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
      That's DC resistance, right? Does that .12K make an audible difference?
      It will be extremely subtle. Thing is that I want to give reliable information when asked or when advertised. I'm trying to be accurate w. what I'm doing, so it would be really annoying to have some customer double check DC and get different than advertised readings. And then it's good to know if the Extech is inaccurate for whatever reason. maybe my other meter is inaccurate, dunno. That's why I asked

Comment

Oh I see. I'm not a pickup maker and don't know what other makers do, but I think I would refer them to this pagehttp://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/ta...uitar-pickups/
        If you still want to know which meter is more accurate, why not buy some high precision resistors to test the meters with?
        Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Telemachos View Post
          Hi everybody,
          My Extech LCR 380193 meter gives slightly higher DC readings than my Voltcraft VC 130. I'm puzzled and confused. Anybody knows which meter to trust more? What is your experience? Does the Extech have a calibration feature?
          The Extech reads DC 7,5 on a Humbucker while the other Multimeter reads just about 7,38 DC. That's a lot of difference in my world
          Assuming that you mean 7.5k or 7500 Ohm, the difference between the meters is 120 Ohm or 1.6%.This is not much, considering that the resistance of copper changes with temperature and a 1.6% change in resistance is produced by a temperature change of only 4°C.
          The influence of PU resistance on sound is very small. It is much more important to monitor inductance.

To find out which of the meters is the more accurate one, you will need to get a precision resistor of e.g. 10k/0.05%.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I just looked up the Extech datasheet. It seems that it does not provide DCR measurement. AC resistance instead tends to be higher than DCR because of Eddy current losses.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              Assuming that you mean 7.5k or 7500 Ohm, the difference between the meters is 120 Ohm or 1.6%.This is not much, considering that the resistance of copper changes with temperature and a 1.6% change in resistance is produced by a temperature change of only 4°C.
              The influence of PU resistance on sound is very small. It is much more important to monitor inductance.
              Yes, I do know that. I measure inductance and peak resonance too.

To find out which of the meters is the more accurate one, you will need to get a precision resistor of e.g. 10k/0.05%.
              Yes, that's what I'm gonna get me next week. Thanks

Comment

I just looked up the Extech datasheet. It seems that it does not provide DCR measurement. AC resistance instead tends to be higher than DCR because of Eddy current losses.
                Oh, I must have skipped this in the manual. Thanks, that's great info here. So I'll better measure DC w. the other meter then. THX again

Comment

Exactly right. And the inherent accuracy of these instruments is about 1%. Nor are pickups all that precise.

Comment

Working...
                  X