No announcement yet.

Chassis bench jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of those things I've mean meaning to do for a while, but haven't gotten around to. I don't really do a lot of repairs, so it's not that big an issue, especially when half of them are old Traynors where you can just lift the lid off. Usually I set chassis on the transformers with the odd block of wood to level it out, which works fine, except like Chuck mentions, when you want to turn things around and you have to rearrange your stack of stuff. A while ago I made some plywood box drawers about 10 x 12 x 8" high to store stuff on my shelves. It turns out that they make great chassis stands. The long sides are just 1/4" ply, so they are easy to sneak between preamp tubes or wherever it needs to go to balance properly. The whole thing spins around easily on the bench. Hardly an ideal solution, but it works very well.

Happy new year everyone,

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      My friend RJ built a nice adjustable chassis rack, I'll see if he feels like posting.
      It seems I have been summoned. While there aren't any detailed drawings, this posting should give you an idea of what I did. It's all common wood sizes so there is no ripping lengthwise involved.

https://hattamps.com/tools-of-the-tr...ive-workbench/
      RJ

Comment

I do little Tube work but anyway made a simple chipboard inclined chassis holder.

Any one which does not fit, gets a shock of culture by standing on a few books too
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Marshall JCM800/900/2000 Service Cradle, also for Fender Twins, etc

One of the first items I built when I opened up shop at CenterStaging, LLC in Burbank was a service cradle for Marshall JCM 800, 900, 2000 and other siimilar sized chassis'. Non-adjustable, but tall enough to have the chassis open side face up, and be able to swap out power tubes, as well as install my bias probes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ext Tube Supply-2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	852585 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ext Tube Supply-1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	852586 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mag Field Pickup-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	852587 Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Tube Swap-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	852588

The wider Fender Chassis' don't fit INTO the cradle, but, they do rest comfortably on the end sections of this cradle, as seen in the following image.

Name:	PS Substitution Set-up-1.jpg
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	852589

I also have a pair of Laboratory Jacks, which come in real handy on shorter chassis' or on some Mesa Amp chassis that don't fit anything without a modification:

Name:	Test Set-up-1.jpg
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	852590 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounting wings-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	852591

In that second image above, I had to resort to adding 'wings' to the chassis at both ends, as there wasn't any space left at either end to mount the chassis. I've used these Lab Jacks to support Fender Deluxe Reverb chassis and similar ones that size, as well as the EVH 5150's and others.
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Whenever nevetslab posts photos I get the worst shop envy. You've got enough knobs and switches to make Randall Smith blush.
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Yep. Between the pics and his avatar, you get a real mad scientist vibe.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                Whenever nevetslab posts photos I get the worst shop envy. You've got enough knobs and switches to make Randall Smith blush.
                Same here. Especially with the Bruel & Kjaer wave analyzer & other "wow" items. Crikeys we had one of those B&K's in my college electronics workshop, 'twas a thing of beauty in 1973 and still is now.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by corliss1 View Post
                  It seems I have been summoned. While there aren't any detailed drawings, this posting should give you an idea of what I did. It's all common wood sizes so there is no ripping lengthwise involved.

https://hattamps.com/tools-of-the-tr...ive-workbench/
                  Excellent adjustable-width Gimbled service cradle!!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                    Here is a different version of one I built based on the Trinity
                    Trinity verison http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1808
                    Variant which I like better http://sluckeyamps.com/cradle/cradle.htm
                    nosaj
                    Great solid design on a variable width, angular-positional gimble chassis support cradle!!

Comment

Something like that^^^ sitting on a big "Lazy Susan" type thing would be great. They make table top bearing pivots that can be bolted to both surfaces. It would need to have a little resistance in the pivot though. Otherwise I'd get annoyed trying to solder a moving target
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                        Here is a different version of one I built based on the Trinity
                        Trinity verison http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1808
                        Variant which I like better http://sluckeyamps.com/cradle/cradle.htm
                        nosaj
                        You cannot service a Hiwatt/Sound City/Orange type amp with those benches. For classic brits are useless I think. Many of those have transformers placed at the edges
                        Last edited by catalin gramada; 01-03-2019, 03:00 PM.
                        "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post

You should see my lab at work.

Home is about the same.

Comment

I think someone mentioned this PDF file but not sure if it was posted here?
                            Attached Files
                            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

YUP.....the Orange Rockerverb's, AD-200's and similar, I'm standing them up on the Power Xfmr end, with some properly sized wooden blocks so it's completely stable, when working on the inside. Then, flat on the bench, upright for normal testing, as well as re-tensioning the power tube terminal so the tubes fit tight again. We only have a couple DR100 Custom 100 HiWatt heads here, no Sound City's. I can't recall what I used with the HiWatt amps.

Comment

Here is one that Ted Weber sells. I have this one and it works pretty well....you could probably make one yourself if you are handy.

Greg

https://www.tedweber.com/amptechtools/amp-cradles

Comment

Working...
                                X