Chassis bench jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis bench jig

This probably has been floated before. Does anyone have a design for a versatile Fender or Marshall bench jig or support frame that allows for the power tubes not resting on the bench during testing or repairing? I have always just positioned a fender chassis so the the power tubes are hanging over the edge of the bench top and the trannies are supporting the weight. While this has always worked for me, I just know there comes a day when something gets caught up and I end up with a Super Reverb chassis in my lap or crashing to the floor.

I am thinking of an adjustable, 'one size fits all' type of deal, if that is even a practical thought.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

There are some very good ideas & photos on a sticky at our friendly neighbors The Amp Garage. Feast your eyes:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27171
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
      This probably has been floated before. Does anyone have a design for a versatile Fender or Marshall bench jig or support frame that allows for the power tubes not resting on the bench during testing or repairing? I have always just positioned a fender chassis so the the power tubes are hanging over the edge of the bench top and the trannies are supporting the weight. While this has always worked for me, I just know there comes a day when something gets caught up and I end up with a Super Reverb chassis in my lap or crashing to the floor.

I am thinking of an adjustable, 'one size fits all' type of deal, if that is even a practical thought.
      Here is a different version of one I built based on the Trinity
      Trinity verison http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1808
      Variant which I like better http://sluckeyamps.com/cradle/cradle.htm
      nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I just screw a couple blocks of wood, longer than the tubes, to the chassis where the bolts go.

Not as convenient or as quick, and obviously doesn't rotate,
        but lets me set the chassis safely on the bench with the tubes down.

Here's a Silverface Princeton Reverb on blocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	954.6 KB
ID:	852574

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2596.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	852575
        If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
        I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

"Variant which I like better http://sluckeyamps.com/cradle/cradle.htm
          nosaj"

That's it!!! That's what I want.
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Huh.?... I just use stacked up books at either end of the chassis. I have a lot of books.

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Huh.?... I just use stacked up books at either end of the chassis. I have a lot of books.

I slide the deoxit caps under the shorter transformer. Usually gets it up high enough so the tubers don't burn nuttin'.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                "Variant which I like better http://sluckeyamps.com/cradle/cradle.htm
                nosaj"

That's it!!! That's what I want.
                Yessiree, that one looks a treat. I especially like the knurled knobs on the sides! FWIW sluckey is a TAG contributor, and you may have seen his rig on the sticky. And that sticky is still worth a look, though I think sluckey does have a winning design, knurled knobs or knot.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I forget where, but somebody posted a design using plastic water pipes with a whole elaborate spinning jig.

I have a few wood blocks screwed together to support various chassis for support.

Comment

I thought maybe Steve Ahola did something with the PVC pipe?
                    There is this one:
                    Attached Files
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I used to use 2x6 blocks screwed to the bottom of an OSB board. It was a hassle to move the blocks around so I bought one of these and am happy I did.

https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Chassis-Stands

Comment

I always rested Fenders on their transformers and rock it towards the panel, so it sits at an angle, but not on the tubes.

My partner used to set the amp on end, and lean the upper end against his bench riser.

My friend RJ built a nice adjustable chassis rack, I'll see if he feels like posting.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I find that with a few pieces of 1X4"pine, scrap 2X4 cuts, and 4X4 blocks, you can find something that will prop up and support what ever you need. Of course books work too.
                          I've seen some chassis vises people have come up with, and they seem decent. But I think that the basic design could really be improved to offer much more utility and flexibility. If I could dream, a great bench chassis vise should be able to adjust to many different amp chassis styles and handle heavy power amps/old SVTs, etc, so it should have a good range of lateral adjustment. It should be able to tilt... I dunno, maybe full 60˚ on axis(+/- 30˚ from horizontal) for easy access to see and service tight areas. Plus it should rotate allowing you to work back to front and front to back. Gawd I love bearings.
                          Anyway, I have a prototype idea in my head I've been flirting with the idea of working it out into the real world. But the downside is that this is probably going to take up quite a bit of space on the bench and there's always the weird old Gibson amp that comes in (or whatever) that makes using a vise unpractical. Plus, the scrap wood thing I described above is really working out for me. So, is it even worth it? When I'm building and wiring an amp from scratch I really think so, but maybe not the most practical thing for repairs
                          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            I thought maybe Steve Ahola did something with the PVC pipe?
                            There is this one:

Yeah, that's it.

We have cool spring loaded pc board holders at work in a couple different styles, never bothered making one for home.

Comment

I don't know about everyone else here, but with my bench height being a little low (intentionally) I don't really need to tilt the chassis. What would be more convenient would be if a chassis rig allowed the chassis to be rotated right/left. Or front to back as it were. Because even if I could tilt a chassis I'd still need to poke up into the rear panel or back and down into the front panel. In either case I'm working at an odd angle, blocking my lighting or changing my working height relative to my seat. So I'd rather be able to pivot the chassis 180* left/right. At present, using books, I have to pick the chassis up, turn it around and change the book stack arrangement left/right to do this.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X