Chassis bench jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
    I think someone mentioned this PDF file but not sure if it was posted here?
    I was going to say that I found drawings for the cradle. I found it few years ago (I think it was posted on the forum) and built it. It's very good.

Mark

Comment

To work on my Peavey Encore 65 and inspired by galaxiex in post #4 and and nevetslab in post #19, I built a jig using a stack of three 2x4s with a back brace. If I need extra height, I can put a couple 2x4s going across the bottom. If you have a wider amp chassis, you simply cut and use longer back braces.

I discovered you might need some extra height if you are using Bias Probe sockets and need to have some breathing room for the power tubes.

Thanks for the ideas!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TomCarlos; 03-24-2020, 05:36 PM.
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

My jig is adjustable. I use a few pieces of 4" X 2" and a couple of 2" X 2".
        Ideal and cheap. One size fits all.
        Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
        If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Me too. My personal book case is in my shop/bench room. We have three other book cases throughout the house but these are "my" books. Electronics, amps, music, mushrooms, fishing, etc. So I just grab a stack of books to prop ends where needed. It works remarkably well because books come in many different thicknesses My projects can run long though. So there has been a few times when I spent time looking for a book only to find it under the amp chassis on the bench after looking at the book case for twenty minutes
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'm right there with ya, Chuck. You'd think after all these years, I'd have something a bit more professional, but I just use whatever I have laying around. It might be a stack of VCR tapes (yes, they still have a use ) or whatever. I find that I rarely need to bother. Much of the time, you can set the chassis at an angle so that it's not resting on the tubes. Easier to see into and work in the chassis that way, too.

Edit: I usually just tilt the Fender types as I said, but the Marshall types I tip the cabinet on its face and use the blocks that hold the rear grill to support the chassis.
            Last edited by The Dude; 03-25-2020, 01:21 AM.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Much of the time, you can set the chassis at an angle so that it's not resting on the tubes. Easier to see into and work in the chassis that way, too.
              Yep. That's what I find using the stacked books. I can stagger them a little to clear tubes and still have more secure support under the chassis.

I've seen so many variable needs with amp chassis that I believe I'd spend a lot more time trying to make a "one size fits all" chassis jig/rig work than I do just with the books. Plus, how practical is it really just to have pivot and angle options? Especially if you have test leads, sig genny and probes already connected The idea of a purpose built tool for the task is charming, but more novel than practical IMHO.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                My jig is adjustable. I use a few pieces of 4" X 2" and a couple of 2" X 2".
                Ideal and cheap. One size fits all.
                If you want to really treat yourself, grab some Douglas Fir scraps (or UK equivalent, as it's native to N. America )

My father had some scrap from a recent project, so I snagged some for my bench. Now I just feel spoiled.
                If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

These are very simple to make

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...1&d=1585791396
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like that design!! Much simpler than what I came up with. A dado cut in the base would help strengthen the upright support legs.
                    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Working...
                    X