Increasing treble/bite and reducing midrange in humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    I guess everyone has tried to go easy about this so far. And of course you're aware too, but...

Anything you do to significantly change how the pickup sounds by itself will have an equal affect on it's sound when paired with other pickups. So you can't keep the combined pickup sounds you have now ....
    I think I can because the slug coil will remain unaltered, and that is the coil that is combined with the RWRP middle pickup. I have already altered the bridge-side screw coil with the shorter screws of a different head design (fillisters swapped for cap head hex) and the combined sound in position 4 is so far unchanged.

Now if I do end up swapping out the full strength polished A5 magnet for an UOA5, then I would expect the position 4 (bridge slug split + middle) to change in some way. Whether good or bad remains to be seen. At least I have a decent baseline as a departure point

Comment

Here is the schematic I'm using, except this guitar uses one volume and one tone.

500K volume
      250K tone
      0.022uF tone cap

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_141902.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	852614

Comment

Have you tried wiring the input to the tone direct from the jack.
        Which is kind of like 50s wiring on an old LP.
        I usually like it fed direct, and not through the volume pot.
        You may or may not like it but worth a shot!
        I usually do a 250k volume on a HSS guitar, and a 500 or 1meg tone, for greater roll of.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Have you tried wiring the input to the tone direct from the jack.
          Which is kind of like 50s wiring on an old LP.
          I usually like it fed direct, and not through the volume pot.
          You may or may not like it but worth a shot!
          I usually do a 250k volume on a HSS guitar, and a 500 or 1meg tone, for greater roll of.
          T
          Now that "50's wiring" could be something to try, for sure. Can you draw that up for me so I get it right?

I love the way these single coils sound with the 500K pots, and a 250 would only roll off more treble on the humbucker I'm afraid. I started using 250K pots for tone controls in my own guitars back in the 70's because the taper is perfect for the way I like to work. I buy vintage audio taper pots from CTS in bulk and measure each one and match them to the job. So the components and wiring in my control cavity is always the result of very deliberate decisions.

Comment

Here you go.
            A picture is worth a thousand words!

"If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Now if I do end up swapping out the full strength polished A5 magnet for an UOA5, then I would expect the position 4 (bridge slug split + middle) to change in some way.
              UOA5 is weaker and has a higher permeability than standard anisotropic A5 (actually higher than most other magnet types). Both properties will tend to reduce treble.
              Do you need the tone control for the bridge PU? Does it help to disconnect it?
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-05-2019, 07:53 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                UOA5 is weaker and has a higher permeability than standard anisotropic A5. Both properties will slightly reduce treble.
                Do you need the tone control for the bridge PU? Does it help to disconnect it?
                The bridge tone is not a must have, but I do like having the option. I use my volume and tone controls regularly and have gotten used to having bridge & neck tone contol and an open middle pickup.

Glad you corrected me on the magnet. Now the pickup is vey close with the screw changes and lowering the pickup some. If I were to consider swapping the magnet, what would you suggest, if anything?

Comment

The bridge tone is not a must have, but I do like having the option.
                  You might at least try to increase to 500k.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The 500k with the vintage wiring I showed should give more tone roll off.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

A 250k tone pot is like 500k tone pot turned "halfway" down.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The 500k with the vintage wiring I showed should give more tone roll off.
                        T
                        "Vintage wiring" doesn't make a difference at full volume.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If I were to consider swapping the magnet, what would you suggest, if anything
                          As anisotropic A5 is already one of the strongest alnicos (when fully charged) having low permeability, a real difference in terms of stronger highs would require the use of ceramic. (Not for me, though). Ceramic magnets are stronger and have minimum permeability.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Most players use the volume.
                            You're nit picking.
                            You throw out your ideas, I'll throw out mine.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

It the 50's wiring that he's referring too...in which the pickups and pots are wired so it changes the LCR network around.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...n-a-telecaster
                              nosaj
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Most players use the volume.
                                You're nit picking.
                                You throw out your ideas, I'll throw out mine.
                                T
                                What's wrong with my statement?
                                Most players compare sounds at full volume.
                                I love the 50s wiring with my Les Pauls because I prefer to somewhat back the tone at the bridge PU.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X