Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM900 Frequency Doubling Weirdness

50W JCM900 Combo.

I'm injecting a 1000Hz signal. I'm getting a 2000Hz signal at the speaker. The scope says the signal on each EL34 grid is 1000Hz.
    All grounds have been cleaned, different sets of valves tried, signal is being injected on 1st PI grid. (The effect was visible when running through the pre-amp, I just wanted to rule it out). Valves are biased to around 12W, DC grid voltages ~= -40V. Tried a spare output transformer. No difference..

If I pull either one of the EL34s the signal at the speaker looks as you'd expect - lopsided, but 1000Hz. With both output valves in circuit the voltage at the speaker approximately halves and becomes 2000Hz. Odd cycles slightly lower than even ones.

Suggestions?

Originally posted by Ted View Post
    50W JCM900 Combo.

I'm injecting a 1000Hz signal. I'm getting a 2000Hz signal at the speaker. The scope says the signal on each EL34 grid is 1000Hz.
    All grounds have been cleaned, different sets of valves tried, signal is being injected on 1st PI grid. (The effect was visible when running through the pre-amp, I just wanted to rule it out). Valves are biased to around 12W, DC grid voltages ~= -40V. Tried a spare output transformer. No difference..

If I pull either one of the EL34s the signal at the speaker looks as you'd expect - lopsided, but 1000Hz. With both output valves in circuit the voltage at the speaker approximately halves and becomes 2000Hz. Odd cycles slightly lower than even ones.

Suggestions?
    Suggestions? To me it sounds like a capacitor timing issue introducing a slight delay effect. Do you have a scope?
    Please post a schematic your working from.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Can you scope the EL34 grids simultaneously using two probes?
      What are the screen grids doing?
      What is the OPT centre tap doing?

Please post the output and the two grid one waveforms with vertical and timebase info.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Can you get intermodulation artifacts with a single frequency input?
        --
        I build and repair guitar amps
        http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtian View Post
          Can you get intermodulation artifacts with a single frequency input?
          Well the phase invertor splits the signal in 2 ......

nosaj

Comment

I would swap in a different OPT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              I would swap in a different OPT.
              He already did ...

Comment

Sorry to ask this, but it sounds like it could be a scope setting or glitch to me (or source gen.).
                Have you scoped the input and seen it to measure 1K ?

(edit: nevermind, I see you are measuring 1K at the grids)
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

50W JCM900 Combo.

Please inject 1kHz signal into input.
                  Set scope so you have , say, 4 full sinewaves on screen, so 4 positive peaks and 4 negative peaks.

Without touching horizontal sweep controls at all, , just adjusting vertical scale and sensitivity to match different levels along the path, follow signal from input jack to speaker terminals, until you find one stage where you have eight full sinewaves on screen, 8 positive and 8 negative peaks, only reliable indication that you have 2 kHz there.

Just do not scope power tube plates, deadly voltages there and in any case completely out of range for your scope, I don´t need them if I can see waveforms at speaker terminals.

Please upload 3 screen captures: signal entering power amp. signal a PI plates or power tube grids, and speaker out waveforms.

All with same timebase settings.

Suggestions?
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Good advice here. Thanks.

Just waiting for a 2nd scope probe to be delivered....

Comment

Both Grids:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	49739230_235677000666861_6019648930248130560_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	852693

One Grid and Speaker:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	49848370_1994570770663950_3367359934655102976_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	852694

Comment

Both Grids:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]51907[/ATTACH]

One Grid and Speaker:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]51908[/ATTACH]
                        Yikes!

Are you 100% certain the center tap of the OPT is going to HT+. Check the DC resistances of the OPT to verify the CT.

Comment

Yikes 2 !!!
                          True *sinewave* frequency doubling , never saw that in a power amp.

Please triple check what nickb says.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I've never seen that either. On the flip side, you may be on the verge of a breakthrough in 'doubler' effects!
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              I've never seen that either. On the flip side, you may be on the verge of a breakthrough in 'doubler' effects!
                              That Kalamazoo one I built would do something like that when you hit the string a little harder than normal sounded just like a tremelo never did get it sussed out but I suspect the output was somehow coupling with a grid.

nosaj

Comment

Working...
                              X