Rotary Encoders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Encoders

Does anybody know where I can get some rotary encoders with 7, 8, and 11 positions? I have several boss multi-effect processors that use these but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

First off: what you are looking for is a 'mechanical encoder'.
    There are many suppliers of them but you seem to need a product specific type.
    (physical dimensions, solder pad footprint, .....)

Have you attempted to contact Boss?
    Product Support department at (323) 890-3740

https://www.boss.info/us/support/service_repair/

Comment

I haven't seen 7 & 11 detent rotary encoders. That doesn't mean there aren't any. Sure you counted right? I agree with Jazz. Why not go to the source. Sans that, maybe you can find something here:

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...ncoder&FS=True

Can't help much more without info or pics- shaft size & style, body size, lug style, etc. Time to get out the calipers.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Not to get pedantic but a rotary encoder spins round & round & round.
        Shaft mounted, they are used for speed sensing, positioning, etc.
        Incremental & quadrature are the most common.

My reasoning for all this is for the OP: if he attempts to 'Google' the item in need.

A Mechanical Encoder is what he needs.

Mech_Encoder_25L.pdf

Comment

Just to add to what Jazz said.

Mechanical encoders come in two types, incremental and absolute. An incremental encoder generates pulses as you rotate it and there is no relationship between the position of the shaft and the output code. An absolute encoder generates a unique code for each possible shaft position.

Incremental are much cheaper than absolute and that it what you will find in most pedals. They typically generate 12 pulses per revolution.

Absolute usually a number of codes ( positions) that are a power of 2 e.g. 4,8,16...
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
            I haven't seen 7 & 11 detent rotary encoders. That doesn't mean there aren't any. Sure you counted right? I agree with Jazz. Why not go to the source. Sans that, maybe you can find something here:

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...ncoder&FS=True

Can't help much more without info or pics- shaft size & style, body size, lug style, etc. Time to get out the calipers.
            I've already contacted Boss and they don't provide service parts for their pedals. I've counted correctly. I've gone through mouser.com and can actually find tons of 12 detent encoders for example, but only one 10 detent encoder. They're all the same footprint that I'm looking for, and here is a picture of one of the working 10's that I can quickly get to. There are several 10s, 11s, and 8s in a few units that I need, along with one 7.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenrb718 View Post
              ...here is a picture of one of the working 10's that I can quickly get to.
              Did you forget to attach the picture?
              -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

I've already contacted Boss and they don't provide service parts for their pedals. I've counted correctly. I've gone through mouser.com and can actually find tons of 12 detent encoders for example, but only one 10 detent encoder. They're all the same footprint that I'm looking for, and here is a picture of one of the working 10's that I can quickly get to. There are several 10s, 11s, and 8s in a few units that I need, along with one 7.
                What about this one?
                http://smallbear-electronics.mybigco...otary-encoder/
                Here are some others
                http://smallbear-electronics.mybigco....com/encoders/
                FWWIW Small Bear is very trusted.
                Here's more
                https://www.fullcompass.com/searchre...rotary+encoder
                That's all I can find. Call either Company they are great to work with and will go the extra mile if your willing to help.
                nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I sure did lol.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20190108_114259.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	852661

Comment

I sure did lol.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]51852[/ATTACH]
                    How about pulling it to see if there are any identifying marks on the bottom?
                    Thanks,
                    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                      How about pulling it to see if there are any identifying marks on the bottom?
                      Thanks,
                      Jason
                      I pulled one of the other ones previously and it only had the resistance value and a number which I believe to be the number of detents for it, but that's a guess. I don't see any manufacturer markings and I don't want to tear the encoder apart, but it looks like a typical alpha or alps encoder.

Comment

I pulled one of the other ones previously and it only had the resistance value and a number which I believe to be the number of detents for it, but that's a guess. I don't see any manufacturer markings and I don't want to tear the encoder apart, but it looks like a typical alpha or alps encoder.
                        I'd suggest smallbear then the price is cheap enough to try. other wise your SOL as my Dad used to say..
                        nosaj

Can you clarify which exact pedal this is for? I might have an idea that may get us a part number.
                        thx

Comment

Does anybody know where I can get some rotary encoders with 7, 8, and 11 positions? I have several boss multi-effect processors that use these but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
                          Model numbers (of the pedals) please?
                          Last edited by nickb; 01-09-2019, 07:58 AM.

Comment

AH! I missed the pic earlier.

That's a standard incremental encoder. Having just three pins tells us it's incremental. The pulses per revolution is not critical as it's incremental. You can always turn it a complete revolution and count. It's not the same thing as the number of options of the front panel BTW. Try searching for ALPS EC12 series or Bourns PEC11 or PEC12.

Comment

This could be what you're looking for: http://smallbear-electronics.mybigco...for-oceans-11/

Comment

Working...
                              X