Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis Hardware for Marshall 8100?

Hello!

Does anyone happen to know what the chassis hardware is for a Marshall Valvestate 8100 head?

I'm finishing a repair on one of these amps that someone else started years ago, and the hardware seems to have disappeared before making it to my bench. There are six screws/bolts that tie the chassis to the head cabinet but they are smaller than the typical M4 chassis screws from other Marshall heads.

Seems like a silly question to put out to the forum when I could just grab a handful of hardware at the store, but I thought someone here may know exactly what I need.

Thanks!!

I don't have any experience of that model, but there is an M3.5 thread size, so that could be it. Even M4 seems small for the job though. I would assume it would be metric; in any case 8-32 is very nearly the same diameter as M4 but coarser and 6-32 is a bit smaller. There is an old British thread, 4BA, that is in that range but has been fairly obsolete for a while so not too likely.

Good luck,

Andy

Comment

Do these go into clips? Seem to recall some of the valvestates not using machine screws, but more like self-tapping/wood screw type thread.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

8100's are the old ones, not cage nuts but the little clip things that grab the threads, right?

Pop one out and head to Home Depot.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
          8100's are the old ones, not cage nuts but the little clip things that grab the threads, right?

Pop one out and head to Home Depot.
          You seem to have a lot more faith in Home Depot having industrial hardware than I do. I've never found what would be specialty hardware there. And, for certain not M3.5 hardware. I'd go to McMaster-Carr or similar resources, but that's just experience with Home Depot (walking distance from my home).
          Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Donīt remember it being M-anything fine thread metal screws type at all, but "drywall type" screws, either "wood" (coarse) or "fine" thread.

Not meant to screw on nuts of any kind, not even pressed-in ones, but folded spring steel type floating clamps.

Large heavy Marshall heads use metal thread bolts into real square nuts (cage nuts?)

but SS means lighter stuff.

As common as mud.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Marshall used a U-type nut.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	U Clip Nut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	852671
              Not too sure of the thread.
              I did screws that fit the nut at Lowes.
              They where a tad short but they worked.
              Slide the clip off & take it to the store and see what fits.
              Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 01-11-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Another advantage of working in electronics.

We decommission all kids of equipment so I have tons of oddball hardware like these clips, cage nuts, the press in kind etc.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

They are definitely the clip style "nuts" that several of you mentioned, and I also seem to recall these amps having something closer to a drywall screw than a machined bolt style.

I'll take the clip to the hardware store and see what I can find. Luckily, my town still has a place that's better than Lowe's/Home Depot.

Comment

Working...
                  X