SD 59/Custom Hybrid Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD 59/Custom Hybrid Specs

I have a SD 59/Custom Hybrid in one of my guitars and really like it. I have recently begun dabbling in winding my own pickups and would like to try to make one myself for a new guitar build I am finishing up. I am looking for some basic info on the materials and specs. There is a thread I found about making this pup on the SD forum but it is 43 pages of magnet swaps, other hybrids people want to make and tone differences. Not knocking it but it does not have info about winding your own, just taking existing coils. My questions are basic and I do understand there are a lot of nuances and factors that influence it and trial and error is useful but I am just looking to find a good starting point and save time as that is always in short supply. Thanks in advance.

1) Which coil (screw or slug) is the custom and which is the 59? I know you could make it either way but I am looking for what SD does on their production model.

2) I know 59 uses 42 awg plain enamel wire and the custom uses 43 awg. I have not been able to find any info on the type of wire for the custom coil. Is it plain enamel or poly?

3) From what I can gather, the 59 coil should be wrapped to 4.0k and the custom coil to 7.0k. Is that correct? Given the wire types, do you have an estimate of the number or wraps to get there on each coil (again as a starting point knowing a lot of things will vary that).

4) Any other tips on tension, TPL, or other things that might be helpful to give myself the best chance of success making this?

I'm not a winder but I'm a pro guitarist and use several of these. I have very little to offer, but here is what I do know.

SH-16 is 11.2K
    TB-16 is 11.7k
    The slug coil is the custom coil (nickel silver bottom plate) no wire info
    Screw coil is 59 bridge coil (42AWG plain enamel mag wire, long legged nickel silver bottom plate)

Comment

I've made a pickup similar to that for 6-8 years or so.
      I call mine the Mongrel!
      I just looked at the specs.
      Full screw coil of 42, full slug coil of 43.
      I use SPN, you can use SPN, or PE.
      Another way to make it is to use double screw coils.
      I like it best. With a good full charged A2 magnet.
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Custom coil: slug bobbin, 7000 turns of AWG#43 SPN, 95 TPL
        '59b coil: screw bobbin, 5500 turns of AWG#42 PE, 65 TPL

Winding speed: 1500 RPM - Tension: 25% under manufacturer suggested winding tension for each gauge.

This formula sounds great with A2, A4, A6, A8 and UOA5. A3 is a bit underwhelming, and A5 is blah, for the lack of a better word to describe it.

You're welcome.
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Well there you have it. Thank you all for the advice.

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          This formula sounds great with A2, A4, A6, A8 and UOA5. A3 is a bit underwhelming, and A5 is blah, for the lack of a better word to describe it.
          It is interesting you say that since the SD version comes stock with an A5 magnet and sounds great to my ears but I don't have reference points to that same pickup with other magnets.

Comment

Working...
          X