Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Fender Blues Deluxe Reverb Hum and... A poor past repair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    The Illinois electrolytic caps in those are notorious for being bad. Take a known good cap of similar value properly voltage rated and clip it across each cap in the amp, one at a time, to see if the hum goes away.

Also, will the amp bias properly?
    Thanks for your suggestion. It looks like the 47uf 500v filter cap is the source of all of this. Unfortunately I don’t have one in stock (which sucks I thought I did!) but when I clipped 2 22uf caps across in parallel, the issue was gone. Still kind of noisey, but completely in the right direction.

Comment

The Takeaway: Illinois Crapacitors gotta go! It completely sucks that an amp made in 2009 has a bad cap in it...

Comment

Did you check whether R52 is stuffed with a resistor on the circuit board? If it is not, and you remove the 'mod' version, the circuit will have issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R52.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	852696
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yup, R52 is unpopulated

Comment

I’m tempted to do this out of convenience... but I do have 2 22uf 500v caps. Would it be feasible to use them in parallel as a permanent replacement? It’s a time sensitive repair unfortunately, but I figured the value is similar enough to be totally fine. Has anyone done this?

Comment

Yes. If you can mount them so nothing is hanging loose or flopping around, I don't see any problem using 2 caps paralleled like that.
              I hope you are going to restore the factory mod?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Already done! dang trying to get this out of here TODAY

Comment

Working...
                X