No announcement yet.

Alligator Skin 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have more pics, but it seems I've reached some limit. I cleaned the alligator skin with a damp cloth then covered it with mink oil. Then I let it sit overnight and wiped it down. It's amazing how good it looks. Now bring over the girl with the alligator outfit so I can shine up her pants!

Comment

she looks great , how does she sound?? The amp , talk'in about the amp
      If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Comment

I didnt power it up until I had it apart and on my bench. Did a quick test and it sounded good but had some hum. I ordered new capacitors and tubes. I won't be able to really test the sound until I'm done servicing and reassembling.

Comment

Still can't post more pics

Comment

Ok. Got the pictures set up. Here is the cabinet. I did discovered the covering is embroidered leather.
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/146454.../shares/2G3Z0H
            Last edited by tigerzilly; 01-21-2019, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Pics of chassis and speaker. I added the grounded cord to chassis Otherwise untouched.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146454.../shares/30fP2E

Comment

I've made progress with amp. It does sound good! It's still on the bench until I get the tremolo intensity resolved. I tested it with the wizzer cone speaker. I'm not finding any love for the wizzer. It's buzzes on the low strings. I tried doping the cone perimeter and around the repair area, but not much improvement. I'm ready to ditch the speaker.

I tried the speaker attenuator. I'm not finding any love for it either. It sounds like a fuzz box with no volume or fullness. I think the amp sounds much better with the amp straight to the speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerzilly View Post
                  I've made progress with amp. It does sound good! It's still on the bench until I get the tremolo intensity resolved. I tested it with the wizzer cone speaker. I'm not finding any love for the wizzer. It's buzzes on the low strings. I tried doping the cone perimeter and around the repair area, but not much improvement. I'm ready to ditch the speaker.

I tried the speaker attenuator. I'm not finding any love for it either. It sounds like a fuzz box with no volume or fullness. I think the amp sounds much better with the amp straight to the speaker.
                  Sure looks like a recover job, but looks like they did it pretty well. Obvious stuff is appearance of age of covering compared to chassis, and those staples, etc.

Definitely a new speaker needed.

I'd remove that "attenuator", also. Why have something permanent attached that sucks tone? IF you trust the thing, and still wanted to experiment with it sometimes, you could always mount it in a vented (maybe even heat-sinked) enclosure to fiddle around with. But, I'd just get rid of it.

Those amps are loud enough cranked up to keep up with a small-bar band, but I have a DRRI that couldn't get loud enough "clean" to play some songs on. A different speaker helped a bit, but I couldn't quite keep up with a Hot Rod Deville and a Hot Rod Deluxe when I wanted a good, clean sound, so I had to use another amp.

I'd just clean up the chassis, do your electronic updates and enjoy it for what it is.

Good luck,

Brad1

Comment

I fixed the weak tremolo by replacing the opto-coupler. Everything in the amp now seems to be in good working order. Nice tone. I orderd a new speaker, a weber 12F150. When the speaker arrives I should be able to get the amp back together. So far I'm liking what I hear.

Comment

It's a real beauty! Glad to hear that it is sounding good too.

The Fender factory never used staples to hold coverings down. The aluminium foil top shield is also new to the amp, as the original one was screen material. It all was done professionally though.

Great amp.

Comment

The amp is done and all is working well. Attached are pics of the chassis before going back into the cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0207191719_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	853062

Name:	0207191721a.jpg
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	853063

Name:	0207191722a.jpg
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	853064

Name:	0207191722f.jpg
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	853065

Comment

Pics of the finished amp.

Name:	P1280500.JPG
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	853067

Name:	P1280502.JPG
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	853068

Name:	P1280505.JPG
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	853069

Name:	P1280506.JPG
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	853070

Name:	P1280509.JPG
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	853071

Name:	P1280511.JPG
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	853072

Comment

It took a while, but I finally have a sample of the 64 Deluxe Reverb to share.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X