Need Help With A 1978 Peavey 400B Mark III Bass amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help With A 1978 Peavey 400B Mark III Bass amp

Recently got a steal on this amp and I am new to repairs. Pots were very dirty and the inputs were super cracky. Several small capacitors have leaked and simple to replace.

I reflowed the solder to the inputs and that fixed all but one inputs. I am assuming the input jack is just bad and will replace.

Here is the main question, I want to replaced the large filter caps but i cant find replacements. They are listed as 5000 MFD 500v. I have been looking around and cant find any replacements. Am I missing something? Is there anything else i need to check?

- Steve

Originally posted by steve2112 View Post
    Recently got a steal on this amp and I am new to repairs. Pots were very dirty and the inputs were super cracky. Several small capacitors have leaked and simple to replace.

I reflowed the solder to the inputs and that fixed all but one inputs. I am assuming the input jack is just bad and will replace.

Here is the main question, I want to replaced the large filter caps but i cant find replacements. They are listed as 5000 MFD 500v. I have been looking around and cant find any replacements. Am I missing something? Is there anything else i need to check?

- Steve
    I'm sure it's a mistype as far as the 500v rating. I normally use 4700 uf 63 volt replacements. Your best deal I think on price for those is usually Peavey. Call them up they are super easy to deal with.

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

My data shows the caps are 5000uF 55V. Do as Jason says.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
        My data shows the caps are 5000uF 55V. Do as Jason says.
        i missed type its listed on the schematics c34/c35 ass 5000uf/50v. Sorry about that. Still i could not found a replacement online. I have contacted peavey before and they were helpful on other things.

Also what would be good brand caps for these large caps and the other ones on the board?

-steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve2112 View Post
          i missed type its listed on the schematics c34/c35 ass 5000uf/50v. Sorry about that. Still i could not found a replacement online. I have contacted peavey before and they were helpful on other things.

Also what would be good brand caps for these large caps and the other ones on the board?

-steve
          Some people complain about Illinois caps but I started this in 2011 and I've never had issue with Illinois caps and I've used them quite a bit.
          https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...3sN9Yk8Q%3d%3d
          nosaj
          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

55v is not a standard value, 63v is the modern closest voltage. 5000uf is also not a standard value, 4700uf is the modern standard value closest. If you order 5000/55v caps from Peavey, they will send you 4700uf/63v caps.

Any brand Mouser sells will be fine.

Note, the original cap is not laid out to standard either, the legs on a modern cap will not fit right into the old holes. You will have to CAREFULLY drill some new holes in the board to mount the new caps. Or otherwise compromise.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ahhh. Drilling into the PCB seems like a little past my skill right now. Maybe i will just change the smaller capacitors that are leaky and see how it sounds from there.

Comment

thanks

Comment

The caps nosaj linked would not require drilling, but you would have to figure out some sort of support. I prefer to drill a litle and use "snap-in" style caps, myself.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Are the power supply caps bad?

I have seen the 35 volt caps for the 27 volt supplies that feed the 15 volt regulators go bad more often than the big boys.

Comment

Enzo, i will look into doing that. The board has lots of room on it so drilling might not be too much of an issue. I might measure them and do that last if they check out good.

I went through the schematics and made a list of all electrolytics caps. Should i replace all of them or just the 5 or 6 that are leaking? Are there any i should just replace no matter what. Everything looks stock in this. No mismatched anything.

- steve

EDIT: Are there any books i should keep by the bench while working on amps. I am new to this and have been reading up online and watch videos but i always like books for reference.
                      Last edited by steve2112; 01-21-2019, 05:33 PM. Reason: Info on books

Comment

So should i recap everything in the amp or only the bad caps?

Also it is calling from a 1000uf 35v cap. Is this the correct replacement https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...8H8ORCpA%3d%3d

- steve
                        Last edited by steve2112; 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM. Reason: bad link

Comment

Sure.

Why don't you just get it going, then worry about wholesale parts replacements later?

Comment

The bass amp is for my wife so i have to make sure its 100% good. I have to order all the caps since I am new and dont have any stock. I am using sprague caps because i heard they were good. Maybe i will just replace the leaking caps and get a few extra just in case. If i need to order the rest i guess i can always do that.

Just trying to figure out whats best practice.

Comment

The general consensus around here seems to be that Sprague caps (electrolytic at least) are really overpriced, especially the vintage style 'Atom' series. So, unless you are really into preserving a period look, there is better value elsewhere. I've had good luck with Nichicon and Panasonic which are readily available at good prices from Mouser, Digi-key etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X