Construction of pickups into a pickup housing/case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction of pickups into a pickup housing/case

I'm well aware of how a standard humbucker goes together. The confusing bit is where does the earth wire connect to, as there is no base plate?

Also do any of you place in a base plate or conductor below the coils?

Also is there any hints on construction into a active housing.
    Last edited by big_teee; 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM.

Originally posted by Peteus View Post
    I'm well aware of how a standard humbucker goes together. The confusing bit is where does the earth wire connect to, as there is no base plate?

Also do any of you place in a base plate or conductor below the coils?

Also is there any hints on construction into a active housing.
    As standard humbuckers (Gibson type) do have a grounded base plate, what PU are you speaking of? Can you post a picture?
    What is an active housing?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      As standard humbuckers (Gibson type) do have a grounded base plate, what PU are you speaking of? Can you post a picture?
      What is an active housing?
      Basically pickups like EMG 707 or 808 are active pickups but, companies such as Seymour duncan make their passive fit in the same housings:
      https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/p...-now-available

Comment

Basically pickups like EMG 707 or 808 are active pickups but, companies such as Seymour duncan make their passive fit in the same housings:
        https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/p...-now-available
        From the link it seems that "active housing" is just a misleading term used to describe the housing of a passive PU mimicking the shape of an active PU. I have no reason to assume that these PUs don't have a base plate, even though a baseplate is not essential for humbucker operation/function.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-20-2019, 11:47 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          From the link it seems that "active housing" is just a misleading term used to describe the housing of a passive PU mimicking the shape of an active PU. I have no reason to assume that these PUs don't have a base plate, even though a baseplate is not essential for humbucker operation/function.
          Interesting, so you may expect them to have some form of base plate contained within the housing. From what I have read the baseplate can effect the tone. Is this correct?

Comment

The EMG pickup housing/case you refer to, are the EMG sized Bass Pickup covers.
            They come in 3 sizes EMG 35=3.5inch x 1.5 inch, EMG 40 4 inch x 1.5 inch, and EMG 45 4.5 inch x 1.5 inch.
            The 35 was designed for a 4 string bass, 40 for 5 string bass, and the 45 for 6 string bass.
            EMG builds the pickup in the cover and then epoxies the rear of the cover.
            Though they were designed for bass pickups, they were later used for 7-10 string guitars, because the covers were already readily available!
            Ceramic magnets fit inside the bobbins, that are sized and designed to fit the covers.
            2 regular .69 inch width paf style humbucker bobbins will not fit side by side inside a EMG cover.
            Last edited by big_teee; 01-22-2019, 04:35 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Interesting, so you may expect them to have some form of base plate contained within the housing. From what I have read the baseplate can effect the tone. Is this correct?
              I think the effect of a typical nickel-silver baseplate on tone is insignificant. Removing the baseplate increases the resonant peak only by about 1.5dB with an unloaded PU. Loaded with pots this difference essentially vanishes.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Many pickups use a G-10 pcb as a foundation or baseplate and use the copper cladding both for shielding and terminal connections for the individual coils. This is how EMG and Bartolini did it for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  Many pickups use a G-10 pcb as a foundation or baseplate and use the copper cladding both for shielding and terminal connections for the individual coils. This is how EMG and Bartolini did it for decades.
                  Do you have any links or images of how this goes together?

Comment

While a baseplate may or may not be used, it is essential to at least electrostatically shield the pickup, or there will always be an annoying buzz. This is independent of humbucking, which is a magnetic effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X