Dr Z redplating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As stated, grid voltage is 0v.

The hi/lo power switch mutes the grids of two of the 6v6s thru 100K ohm resistors. The wiring has not been altered.

Both cathode resistors measure the same 151 ohms.

Plate voltage is 409v.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      That amp has a half power switch. I'll bet the cathode resistors aren't wired as one per side, but rather have a series connection for two tube operation.
      Yes, that would make sense (It's like the Matchless DC30). Randall says in the OP that it came in with two dead 6V6s. If all four share a common 150R cathode resistor the good pair are sure to red plate if two are not conducting. Also operating it with only two 6V6s with the switch in full power mode would also cause red plating.

Comment

IIRC from the other thread about this amp, the cathode resistors were assigned to each pair of tubes. Could there have been a single 150R cathode resistor (for all 4 tubes) from the OEM, and someone split the cathodes without upping each single pair's cathode resistor to 300R?
        @Randall, any evidence that could have been done to this amp?
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

This amp has not been modded. The wiring is impeccable. It is stock with two 150 10 watt cathode resistors, one for each pair of 6V6s.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
            This amp has not been modded. The wiring is impeccable. It is stock with two 150 10 watt cathode resistors, one for each pair of 6V6s.
            The sign of a good tech is one who leaves no trace he's been there

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Hi,
              I have attempted to draw up a schemo from the image that Guitar Player published in their review.
              There are many guesses................
              This may or may not be of help??
              John
              Attached Files

Comment

OK, I reached out to their repair guy and received this:

Randall,
                Install a quad of JJ 6V6s ( we do not recommend using Russian, Chinese or NOS in this amp )
                Replace the (4) 3W screen resistors with 5W 500 ohm
                Replace the (2) 10W 150 ohm bias resistors with 10W 180 ohm

Interesting. But does this seem like enough, increasing screen resistors by 40 ohms and cathodes by 30 ohms? I replied by asking if this was standard procedure on this amp, and what should I expect to see for current at idle, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Comment

OK, I reached out to their repair guy and received this:

Randall,
                  Install a quad of JJ 6V6s ( we do not recommend using Russian, Chinese or NOS in this amp )
                  Replace the (4) 3W screen resistors with 5W 500 ohm
                  Replace the (2) 10W 150 ohm bias resistors with 10W 180 ohm

Interesting. But does this seem like enough, increasing screen resistors by 40 ohms and cathodes by 30 ohms? I replied by asking if this was standard procedure on this amp, and what should I expect to see for current at idle, but I haven't gotten a response yet.
                  Should have asked them what stock was also.
                  nosaj
                  soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

......we do not recommend using Russian, Chinese or NOS in this amp......
                    Translation: Our amps are designed to run the piss out of tubes.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm thinking of upping the cathode resistors to 200 ohms for a little extra pad.

Comment

Or use the recommended power tubes. You can always bump the cathode resistance later if they become unavailable. This way you'll be delivering to you customer a fix that is in keeping with the manufacturers intention and design. Something I've often interpreted as your intent.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                          Translation: Our amps are designed to run the piss out of tubes.
                          I was going to say my guess is that it just eats tubes in it's stock form. Every cathode bias Dr. Z. redplates at idle, and biased over 100%. They stop redplating with signal, but still it seems crazy to design amp in mass this way. Anyone whose experimented a lot with cathode biasing will tell you the extra "tone" from biasing that hot is not worth all that money that could have otherwise been spent on pizza.

Comment

"Or use the recommended power tubes. You can always bump the cathode resistance later if they become unavailable. This way you'll be delivering to you customer a fix that is in keeping with the manufacturers intention and design."

I sure am going to use the recommended power tubes. But, I am going to go with 200 Ohm cathodes now in hopes that it will save another failure later. I don't want to hear that later it still ate a quad and died at a gig, and have that be interpreted as a failure on my part. I'm not sure an extra 20 ohms will make that much of a difference, but that is what I ordered.

Comment

6V6GTA total dissipation rating is Plate 14W + Screen 2.2W = 16.2W

Remedy Plate voltage 409V, Cathode voltage 21.5V.

Total dissipation (plate + screen) is 27.8W = madness

Edit: LTspice sim results -

Cathode resistor 150R total diss. = 27.1W
                              Cathode resistor 200R total diss. = 23.3W
                              Cathode resistor 250R total diss. = 20.4W
                              Cathode resistor 300R total diss. = 18W
                              Last edited by Dave H; 01-24-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I just had a conversation with the customer saying I will do the upgrades, and explaining that I don't think there is anything wrong with his amp except the design, and I can't give my usual warranty if it blows up next week or next month. He repsonded by saying he's used it 3 -4 nights a week for the last 2 years, so he will take that chance.

I gotta say, this has really tweaked my sense of what I thought was supposed to be acceptable amp design and tube operation. What were they thinking, "hey let's run those tubes at almost twice their design parameters"? I must admit, and I did tell him this, it is difficult sending an amp out of my shop fully expecting it to blow up again.

Comment

Working...
                                X