Name:	Ampage.png
Views:	1
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	874264Click image for larger version

Name:	ampage 2.png
Views:	1
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	874265

Hello good and generous people of this wonderful and informative forum. Happy new 2019.

I have this Ampeg BA-210v2 that came in for repair. Complaint is "distorted sound". One of the speaker is blown(frozen) and the other is distorted(considered nearing death as well). I've check the output PCB emit voltage that definitely was the cause of speaker death. I tried looking for schematic but only found pieces for the preamp side. No Power Amp/Supply board schematic from website.

I saw one company selling the whole replacement Power amp/supply USD100 and Speaker at USD60 each excluding shipping. I'm outside of the US and I'm reluctant to email the company again. I did that onetime last year for a total of USD250 worth of parts weighing less than a kilo. The shipping quote was USD350. I was frightened and scarified.

My customer do not want to send this to authorized distributor. He fears their rate. He want me to fix it. I would love to but before that. To my questions.

Does anyone know Ampeg email? I couldn't find it their web. There is none. I would like to ask for direct parts+postage quote without the middle man from for the PA board and the two 10" speakers.

The board looks densely populated. A lot of tiny size components. Do you think trying to fix this is will be like going down into a never ending rabbit hole? Is board replacement a common solution for this BA-210v2? If so then I will retreat. Hehe.

I just thought I ask here, who knows.

Thank you
    Ahseng

Well, here's the power amp.

Ampeg_BA210v2_Power_Amp,_PS_Schematics.pdf

Comment

Not too sure what Country the OP is residing in.

Here is the European contact : http://www.loudtechnologies.eu/shop/...n=home&lang=en

Comment

Don't know if it helps, but a lot of Ampeg main PCBs from the class D bass amps seem to have very similar design. Your BA210v2 looks like 1/2 of an SVT7 Pro. Not physically 1/2, but 1/2 of the components. Don't know if Ampeg is any better to deal with now that they are owned by Yamaha, but I did not have a good experience with their tech support on my SVT7.

Comment

Originally posted by ahseng View Post
          ............ I've check the output PCB emit voltage that definitely was the cause of speaker death.....
          Can you elaborate? What voltage did you find and at what output- HF speaker or LF speaker. The amp has DC offset protection. If the protection circuit is working, it should not be possible for the amp to output DC. It should protect itself. Also, the HF output is capacitor coupled and the LF output is not ground referenced, so if you measured from ground, your reading(s) may not be telling the right story. Also, when a speaker is "frozen", that's usually a sign of a shifted magnet structure and not an electronic issue. Sure, the protection circuit might not be working, but I'm more likely to believe that you're chasing a problem that does not exist.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm outside of the US >>>WHERE?<<<and I'm reluctant to email the company again. I did that onetime last year for a total of USD250 worth of parts weighing less than a kilo. The shipping quote was USD350.>>>WHERE?<<< I was frightened and scarified.
            ALWAYS fill your Location information field.

parts weighing less than a kilo. The shipping quote was USD350
            Not sure where you are or what shipping method you used, but I just bought 1000 TO92 case Fets , they are considering it a "1 kilo package" although I doubt it weighs more than 300 or 400 grams and I am paying U$35 for UPS Worldwide Express Server with estimated delivery between 5 to 7 business days ... not bad considering the 2 frontiers/customs and 12000km involved ...

I might pay 60% fixed tax at Customs or they might just deliver it to my door without further expense, itīs like rolling the dice, but in any case less than you have been charged.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              Can you elaborate? What voltage did you find and at what output- HF speaker or LF speaker. The amp has DC offset protection. If the protection circuit is working, it should not be possible for the amp to output DC. It should protect itself. Also, the HF output is capacitor coupled and the LF output is not ground referenced, so if you measured from ground, your reading(s) may not be telling the right story. Also, when a speaker is "frozen", that's usually a sign of a shifted magnet structure and not an electronic issue. Sure, the protection circuit might not be working, but I'm more likely to believe that you're chasing a problem that does not exist.

I am grateful for your advice and clues sir. I am downloading the schematic now. Thank you fine and generous friends of this wonderful forum. By the way which ground reference should I put my probe if not the chassis or speaker terminal? Is it in the PCB itself?

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                ALWAYS fill your Location information field.

Not sure where you are or what shipping method you used, but I just bought 1000 TO92 case Fets , they are considering it a "1 kilo package" although I doubt it weighs more than 300 or 400 grams and I am paying U$35 for UPS Worldwide Express Server with estimated delivery between 5 to 7 business days ... not bad considering the 2 frontiers/customs and 12000km involved ...

I might pay 60% fixed tax at Customs or they might just deliver it to my door without further expense, itīs like rolling the dice, but in any case less than you have been charged.
                I am in one of these countries. Thailand,Malaysia or Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by ahseng View Post
                  I am grateful for your advice and clues sir. I am downloading the schematic now. Thank you fine and generous friends of this wonderful forum. By the way which ground reference should I put my probe if not the chassis or speaker terminal? Is it in the PCB itself?
                  If you are not sure where to put your probe then repair of the module is likely to be very challenging for you.

Out of curiosity I got a quote for these parts including shipping and it was around USD500. That doesn't even include your time or any import duties. Now you can buy a complete and BA210 for less than that. The conclusion is that this is beyond economic repair.
                  Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                    If you are not sure where to put your probe then repair of the module is likely to be very challenging for you.

Out of curiosity I got a quote for these parts including shipping and it was around USD500. That doesn't even include your time or any import duties. Now you can buy a complete and BA210 for less than that. The conclusion is that this is beyond economic repair.
                    You absolutely have a valid point there sir. I have put back this beautiful Ampeg BA-210v2. I gave my customer a quote of Parts+Postage+Parts Changer Service at USD750.
                    Thank you for your good advice. You are wise. Have a wonderful day sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X