Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what a deburring strip is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what a deburring strip is?

I bought awhile ago on ebay this little strip that cleans grit off of Fender input jacks.Does anyone know what I am talking about.there 3 inches long,look like a tiny file.

A picture would help.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I would be very hesitant to use an abrasive tool on a jack.

Typically, the jack contacts are plated.

So any abrasion will remove the plating exposing the bare metal and setting up a condition of future failure.

The tool is called a "burnishing" tool, so I am assuming that it is a very, very fine grit. (think crocus cloth).
      That said. It is still abrasive.
      https://www.google.com/search?q=1/4%...w=1360&bih=689

Comment

thanks a lot JPB I used one to clean a dead Fender input jack had oxide all over the contact point it made it work again. You just use it lightly 2 or 3 times.. I could not remember the name that's why I am DAB lol

Comment

I use a .22 ga, gun cleaner brush with nylon bristles. Add alcohol or your favorite solvent

Comment

Originally posted by dmeek View Post
            I use a .22 ga, gun cleaner brush with nylon bristles. Add alcohol or your favorite solvent
            For the first couple of words brought up an image I hope was going to be a suggestion. Though I hear it has been know to happen

nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I have/use one of these. I've had it for years.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/g...9337/70159540/
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I have used a burnishing tool like Dude's for decades. We used to use them on pinball machine relay contacts and ball sensor switches. They work magic on the shunt contacts in 1/4" jacks. That narrow one fits nicely in the sections of Cliff type jacks, but just drawing it through the open Switchcrafts like old Fender does wonders. Burnishers are super fine, you won't feel any roughness with your fingers. They are used to polish metal surfaces, not to move metal.

I also have a end bristle brass brush for my Dremel I clean barrels with. People criticize that claiming the finish on the jack will flake off. If that soft brass brush takes the finish off the jack barrel, then the finish was already loose.

By the way, to me, this is a deburring tool:

Click image for larger version

Name:	K-3056REGIS__58855.1501728597.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	852852

WHen I was a kid, I drilled crude holes in chassis by making a circle of 1/8 holes, then ream it out to smooth the hole edge.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  this is a deburring tool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52150[/ATTACH]
                  Thats a tapered reamer! A deburring tool (today) is more commonly this

Name:	2.png
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	852857Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	852858
                  or even

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	852859

Comment

Specifically, it is a deburring reamer.

Those other tools are also useful.

The pen style is for light work, cleaning up edges. But if you ever drilled a circle of small holes, punched out the center, the remaining perforation edge is way too rough for the pen type.

Point was to differentiate deburring tools from burnishers.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      I have/use one of these. I've had it for years.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/g...9337/70159540/
                      That's a good price one vendor wants $10.00..and $7.00 to ship.. Thanks Dude

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
                        Are you sure the price is for the burnisher and not for the MACHINE SCREW PAN PHILLIPS 6-32?
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
                          This si what I have, got it from a old radio shop inventory.
                          https://www.shamrocksupply.com/itemD...codeId=9886558
                          nosaj
                          soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                            Are you sure the price is for the burnisher and not for the MACHINE SCREW PAN PHILLIPS 6-32?
                            I saw that screw reference and wondered about it also. But the price looks right, they are in the $4 to $5 range on amazon. (GC9337)
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                            X