Looking for Fender Blues Junior lV Mods to help with farting sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Fender Blues Junior lV Mods to help with farting sound

Looking for Fender Junior lV Mod's to help with farting sound and I didn't know maybe a new speaker or some other ideas. Thanks for any info

Can you elaborate on the problem? Are you experiencing odd sounds when using certain guitars or pedals? What is the rest of the rig? What sort of music do you play? How loud and what venues?

As a 1x12 small-ish combo it's not exactly supposed to be a bass heavy amp. That is, if you're chasing modern metal, rockabilly, big box jazz or surf tones at stage volumes that amp just isn't built for it. Though I think you could get those sounds at low volumes with a pedal using that amp.

If it's just a farty sound and not a lack of bass that's troubling you, just turn down the bass. Too much LF going through the amp will invariably cause flatulence. Just turn up the bass control until the amp starts to fart out and then back it down to where it just starts to behave. That's all the solid bottom end the amp can make.

Speakers? Sure. A speaker that's heavier in LF will change the final EQ. But speaker hunting is an expensive endeavor IMHE. I'm typically three or even four speakers in before I find a good match for a design. At over a hundred bucks each (plus shipping sometimes) that gets costly really fast. Even if a particular speaker that has good bass efficiency is recommended that doesn't mean it will satisfy you in the HF. And therein is the rub. Plenty of bassy speakers out there. None are guaranteed to sound good to YOU.

Please report on your setup, settings and genre intentions.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A lot of the limitation Chuck mentioned is also due to the open back design. You can't really get around that and still ventilate the chassis. Running into a closed cab would give you an idea of the difference.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The Blues Junior series suffers from the farty bass issue in general.

Turning the Bass control down helps, but thins the sound too much.

The BillM site has a bunch of mods you might want to check out.

http://billmaudio.com/wp/

Other than that, the speaker makes a huge difference.

I had good luck with reducing the first stage cathode bypass cap to 0.68uf.

After that I went crazy and gutted mine and hand wired it all.
        Added tube driven reverb as well.
        Made some preamp circuit changes along the lines of the AB763 circuit.

With the hand wired and modded circuit, it has excellent tight punchy bass with the stock speaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BLUES JUNIOR Conversion.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	852874

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2443.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	939.2 KB
ID:	852875

You may not want to go that far....
        Last edited by galaxiex; 01-27-2019, 01:27 AM.
        If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
        I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Working...
        X