Vintage pot tapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage pot tapers?

Regarding the classics, so Les Paul and Stratocaster guitars from the collectible years,..

Does anyone know the log taper percentage for the volume pots on these guitars. Perhaps it varied some, but I'm most interested in what's considered correct or most desirable by players.

And please forgive me if this seems rude, but for the purposes of clarity I'll mention that I'm not that interested in "Well this is what I use/like" if it doesn't relate to the actual vintage tapers somehow. At least not for this thread. I may ask about that later.

TIA
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

The original vol. pot of my 1962 Strat measures 275k/32k at middle of travel. Especially the volume pots of vintage instruments often show increased resistance by wear and maybe also the taper has changed.
    Might be better to measure tone pots. Maybe next time, when I need to open one of my guitars.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Which points to 10% Log pots, which by the way is the "standard/common" taper .

Fender sometimes used 30% log in amplifiers, but they seem to have used the "normal" ones in guitars, as Helmholtz measured.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        Which points to 10% Log pots, which by the way is the "standard/common" taper .

Fender sometimes used 30% log in amplifiers, but they seem to have used the "normal" ones in guitars, as Helmholtz measured.
        I was thinking all that. But you read a lot of lore getting kicked around so I thought I'd ask.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Fully agree, wait for a couple more confirmation measurements.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
          X