No announcement yet.

What guitar cord do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. I thought I remembered that it was you first. Post #5.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      I actually have a closet full of guitar cables from all this experimenting.
      I cut most of my old, homemade cables down to patch lengths of 1, 5 and 10 feet that come in handy often enough at the bench and when I'm experimenting. The original, longer lengths were for the rig I used in the late 80's/early 90's. The "classic" rig of that era. A rack mount two channel preamp, Quadreverb, EQ, MIDI controller, Stereo power amp, two 2x12 cabinets and three pedals on the floor. My guitars at the time were an Ibanez RG570 and a Carvin DC400.

It's my honest opinion that it all sounded like crap compared to what I play now. Which is a HSS Warmoth strat build plugged straight into my own single channel, non reverb amp. Either the combo with a single 12 or a head into a sealed 2X12 depending on my mood. They're the same amp in different packages. Other guitars include a late model LP Special with p90's and a tre bitchin' Yamaha SBG1300ts which is about as rare as hens teeth.

What the hell was going through our minds in the late 80's and early 90's?
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Fortunately I was never tempted by that trend, even though I had access to the rack stuff in my shop.
        But my sound preferences were shaped by what I had heard and seen in the 60s.
        Always kept my AC30, though I switched to BF Fenders later. I love the Fender spring reverb.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

That tubes were going extinct, and we might as well get in on the change early?
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            That tubes were going extinct...
            IIRC, that really was the prevailing consensus at the time. With the exception of CRTs, vacuum tube production had ceased in the U.S.
            IIRC, that is.
            Last edited by rjb; 02-04-2019, 03:44 PM.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

It was the absolute Pittman truth.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X