Fitting more than once effect pedal circuit into one project box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting more than once effect pedal circuit into one project box

I'm trying to downsize my pedalboard and consolidate some of my pedals, several to one box, via one input and output jack and one DC 9v in - in the top of each pedal, so that they can all be mounted flush, up against each other.
    I've realised that I could actually fit two to three pedals into each 1590BB enclosure to reduce the size, amount of cable connectors and weight.
    This would make for a way more compact board as well as many pedals have PSU or in/out jacks inconveniently placed and reboxing in this fashion would make for way more efficient space management. (I've attached photos to illustrate the possibilities, though not necessarily what I'll actually utilise).

Though I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, I'm not an electronic engineer, or even to work my way around a schematic and everything I've built has been from graphic illustrations or photos.
    So what I need help with is how to connect the internal wiring so that each pedal runs from right to left, into it's neighbour, but remains totally out of circuit (true bypassed) when switched off.

They would also need to be powered from the one DC 9v in.

I'm sure that this is all relatively straightforward with the right skill set.

And help or advice would be gratefully accepted!

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Could be done...

Not sure it's worth the trouble.

Those nano pedals have the DC jack soldered to the circuit board.
    A pain to remove and wire them all together inside one box.
    Not sure about the other 2.

How good are your machining skills?
    Drilling close tolerance holes to get them to fit nicely?

The nano pedals stomp switch and other controls are all soldered to the PCB,
    whether they mount to the box or not.

How are you at tracing circuits?
    Getting all the in/outs wired up correctly?

Lot of fiddly work for what gain?

How about some of these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJEZRUI...8-13b30478bfa1
    If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
    I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

Agree when it comes to machining. Having made myself a dozen or so pedals in those teensy 1590A enclosures, drilling holes for those little plastic shaft pots require precision, precision, and more precision, as well as VERY sharp drill bits that won't wander.

Most of those pedals, if not all of them, have their jacks soldered to the circuit board. So you will need to unsolder the jacks, and identify the appropriate pads to be able to hardwire the inputs and outputs.

Being as I'm completing a floor unit for myself with 8 effects hardwired in a fixed order, I can't admonish too much. But that caveat aside, one of the advantages of having separate pedals is that order can be reconfigured.. Just be aware that being able to fit inside a single chassis may be convenient for carrying or setup, but will forfeit the option to re-order.

Comment

"In the old days" some made that, commercially.
        I remember repairing some and found it funny that they simply housed the separate original PCBs, straight out of main production line, inside a very simple common enclosure,not much brainpower needd if kept that way:

notice there is no real space saving, since PCBs typically run wall to wall, so ditching enclosures does not save anything, since they will still need a few mm separation anyway.

You already have a VERY compact setup

EDIT:

and then we have the Peter Cornish way (of Pink Floyd fame):

with some awe inspiring guts (and notice liberal use of brick red paint):

Last edited by J M Fahey; 01-30-2019, 04:40 AM.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
        X