Verify a part: thermo-switch thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verify a part: thermo-switch thing

Not entirely music related unless it's to keep the hands warm in the shop or a coffee maker in service. I have to replace a thermo-switch thingy in an infrared heater. It's listed at 240V but I need 110V, 16A—stated unoriginal part—and wondering if this value is important or not? Thank you

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

It is a thermostat. 240v is fine, the switch will safely open 240v, so 120v is no challenge. It will pass 16A safely.

What matters is the temperature. Your link shows a part rated at 145 degrees Celsius. Is that what it says on your bad part?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

OK, that what I was thinking too, thank you. The part says 80 Degrees. It's is mounted through a hole that monitors the heated air area. I found that rating as those that were complaining of the near-new unit switching off after 5 minutes- they suggested that value.

I also recall seeing one of these in some olde mixer/amp a ways back.

Appreciated...

Comment

This type thermostat is common enough. god knows Peavey used a ton of them, but so did many others. They come in various temperatures, and normally open or normally closed. Also variations on the mounting.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ah right, well thank you so much Enzo. This is my favorite forum and has been for a loooong time

Guitarist, BC Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            It is a thermostat. 240v is fine, the switch will safely open 240v, so 120v is no challenge. It will pass 16A safely.

What matters is the temperature. Your link shows a part rated at 145 degrees Celsius. Is that what it says on your bad part?
            Good question. The temp rating is switching point, I assume. There'd be a lot of potentially molten household items at 145C...
            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

His part says 80 degrees. As to melting, he did say this was from a heater.

Comment

If the original part says 80 degrees then respect that.

We have NO data suggesting anything else.

they suggested that value
                Who is "they"?

Whereb did they pull that value from?

If unit switches off after 5b minutes, there probably is an very good reason fo that.

As an example, my 80C set pressing iron becomes a burn-hole-through-shirt and eventually-burn-the-house-down device if I double temperature setting and am not very careful.

Most plastics stand 80C , most plastics melt or deform at 140C.

Just thinking aloud.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X