Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Eating you Laney?

Seriously, what's eating you?

Got an AOR 50 I'm tuning up and I notice the PT primary leads to the voltage switch has insulation missing.

Like it was partially stripped, but no fragmented remains, like something was gnawing on the wiring!

Has grommets around the chassis holes, and the insulation was partially gone on a few wires for a few inches.

Put shrink wrap over the exposed wires and inspected the rest.
    That could have been a nasty short.

Also, the way the Jack's are wired the low input won't work with a grounded signal generator.

Guitar works fine, or remove ground from signal source to test.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Second picture is pretty much what it looked like.

Comment

College housemate's girlfriend had a chinchilla that almost burned his face off chewing through a lamp power cord.

Comment

Certain cars have problems with soy based wire insulation, the rodents chew and eat it, so maybe that's what happened here.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
            Certain cars have problems with soy based wire insulation, the rodents chew and eat it, so maybe that's what happened here.
            Late model Hondas perhaps? It happened to a co-worker's Civic while he was out on the road for a few weeks.

Comment

Soy Latte' wiring!

Hipster approved, for when you have to own a car, insist on soy based wiring!

Comment

Well, the first practical Plastic ever used, was **milk** based
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Whoa. Has anybody ever done study into the dielectric & conductive properties of cheese? Now I want to make a working amplifier completely out of food.
                  Just think: when your tubes melt down, you'll have a delicious snack for after the gig.

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Turning milk into cheese is halfway there, you already concentrated protein and made it solid.
                    It only needs hardening.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galalith
                    In 1913, thirty million litres (eight million US gallons) of milk were used to produce Galalith in Germany alone.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yepper. Milk (and eggs too) have also been used to make paints. That is, architectural coatings intended to protect surfaces. How they make it non water soluble is a mystery to me, but they do. As Juan mentioned, it's rendered into a sort of plastic.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        Turning milk into cheese is halfway there, you already concentrated protein and made it solid.
                        It only needs hardening.
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galalith

Yea make scrambled eggs in the microwave in a plastic bowl and you have a fun time getting the some of the egg off the bowl.
                        (Our disabled son was taught this at his day program that promotes his independance, he still lives with us but makes him feel good that he can cook something for himself without burning himself on the stove.) $ eggs in a bowl 35 secs stir, 35 secs stir keep repeating till fluffy. Spraying the bowl with Pam or wiping the bowl with a little margarine helps release the protein some.

nosaj
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Congratulations on helping your Son.

It IS important for him to be able to solve some problems successfully on his own, no matter what.

Search around YT, there´s lots of interesting recipes and ideas adapted to microwave ovens you may try.
                          Baked potatoes come to mind, "mug cakes" , etc.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                            Congratulations on helping your Son.

It IS important for him to be able to solve some problems successfully on his own, no matter what.

Search around YT, there´s lots of interesting recipes and ideas adapted to microwave ovens you may try.
                            Baked potatoes come to mind, "mug cakes" , etc.
                            Mug cakes ugh... my wife has been making these lately they are such a mess
                            Yea we do the baked potatoes cause who has the time.

His world is nascar and sports. and I tell you if there is ever a problem withe the tv or the reception, nothing gets in his way of getting it fixed an he gets it done and doesn't wait on anyone to do it for him. The only time we hear about it is if he has exhausted everything he can thing of then he asks me and he logs that answer away. He is pretty amazing, he's also my human GPS If he has ever been somewhere once he can always get me back there again.
                            He was deprived of oxygen when he was born, He's 33 now but about 12 in the head.
                            Amazing guy.

nosaj
                            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I had an amp in recently that had evidence of rodents being in the cab and reverb bag. The reverb cables were severed.
                              It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Working...
                              X