No announcement yet.

Fender Princeton 112 Plus power switch pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tendency is for the user to worry that the pop will cause damage.
    Don't worry, although it seems loud, it is not as loud as the amp is capable of. So the speaker will be dealing safely with bigger transients when being played at high volumes.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

As many said above, it is not a damaging problem, at all, just an annoyance.

Most amps do it naturally, a few donīt.

Many include some kind of mute at power amp input, shorting across input for half a second, this one does not.

3 possible solutions:

1) donīt turn amp on/off during performance, amp wonīt be hurt by having it on a few minutes (or an hour) before playing, same at turn off. Already suggested above.

2) add anti pop capacitors across opening-closing switch contacts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antipop caps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	853003

anything from .01 to .047uF but they must be rated for 250V AC
      DC rating is irrelevant here, these are caps specially designed for that duty.

3) add a "Standby Switch" which is nothing more than a switch in series with speaker out.
      Starting with Mains and "Standby" OFF (like on Tube amps),you first turn Mains ON, waity a few seconds and only then turn Standby on.
      Reverse procedure for turn OFF .
      100% guarantee no popping.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        3) add a "Standby Switch" which is nothing more than a switch in series with speaker out.
        Starting with Mains and "Standby" OFF (like on Tube amps),you first turn Mains ON, waity a few seconds and only then turn Standby on.
        Reverse procedure for turn OFF .
        100% guarantee no popping.
        And you were giving me grief for my Plush amp which is tube but looks like a Kustom, and now you want to add a Standby to a solid state amp? What's next, some tiny incandescent bulbs to add some "heater glow?" Just kidding

Comment

Your Honour!!! Your Honour!!!! please donīt shoot me (yet) !!!!
          My defense is that respected Thomas Vox already added standby switches to SS amplifiers in the 60's!!!! (and most probably for the exact same reason)

Click image for larger version

Name:	VOX Beatle V1143 Standby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	853004

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I am reviving an old thread.

I have a Fender Princeton 112 Plus that has the same issue. I am familar with the solid state "crack" sound when you turn off an amp. This, however, is a "BANG!" sound. it is so loud that there is reverb sound even when the reverb is unplugge. It sounds like someone dropped the amp and the reverb pan crashed. Also when on the Clean Channel (green LED) the Drive Channel (red LED) lights for a brief time.

Plugging and unpluggind the amp from the power cord does reduce the bang a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X