5 String P-Bass Split Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 String P-Bass Split Coil

Anybody have any experience winding these? How did you make it work? Did you do three strings on the low side coil and two on the high side? Did you keep the coils the same output or number or turns? Did you keep the coils the same size and just have magnets for three strings on one and two on the other? I'm in uncharted territory.

Rjbanta,

This has been discussed before and a search should bring up some relevant material (look for 5 string J instead of P).
    P config makes it easy as you can have identical coils and poles, 3+3 but use demagnetized magnets for one coil in the A string overlap. You can also skip the demag magnets and just use plastic rods for the dummy core since AlNiCo is close to air in terms it's effect as a core.
    Just remember you want equal turns*area so the coils want to be the same dimension and the same number of turns. You want the two cores to match as closely as possible too. When it comes to drilling the pole piece holes in your covers you just skip the holes over the dummy poles and that tells everyone which coil is picking up which strings. This is important to know if you later want to add a split J pickup as you'll need to match the sensing configuration to keep all the strings in phase and also hum-canceling.

Comment

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...ht=string+bass
      Post 25 has projected data for a 5 string P.
      If someone can measure the 3 string bobbin of a 5 string split P, more precise data can be generated.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 02-09-2019, 07:24 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

David! Thank you so much for your help. That confirmed most of what I thought and alleviated a great deal of dread. I tried to search before posting, but didnt have any luck. Anyway, thanks again.
        Rob

Comment

Working...
        X