Old Lawrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Lawrence

I've had this kicking around for eon's , non working (open) . Is there any way to get inside ?? I read a thread from 2010, that the only way in is by destroying it ,has any one came up with anything in the last 8yrs to change that ?? just a thought . I apologize if I posted in the wrong category

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2824.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	774.2 KB
ID:	874356Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2822.JPG
Size:	660.9 KB
ID:	874357
    Last edited by shortcircuit; 02-09-2019, 05:28 PM.
    If you don't know where your going any road'll take you there : George Harrison

Anybody got any experience, or advise working on a BL pickup?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit View Post
      I've had this kicking around for eon's , non working (open) . Is there any way to get inside ?? I read a thread from 2010, that the only way in is by destroying it ,has any one came up with anything in the last 8yrs to change that ?? just a thought . I apologize if I posted in the wrong category

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52440[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52441[/ATTACH]
      Is it encased in epoxy?

Comment

Originally posted by Antigua View Post
        Is it encased in epoxy?
        To be honest I'm not sure, but believe it is, I've had this at least 30yrs, so what ever Bill Lawrence used back then . You can't see from the bad pic, the wire is pinched where it goes into the epoxy?? I have one shot at chipping in and gaining possibly enough wire to check for a reading.

Comment

Hi shortcircuit.
          If you take another picture, set the camera to macro mode, and you will get better focus up close.
          GL,
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Thanks, I was just taking pics for general info at first , here is a better pic of the wire situation . Once again ignore the date , dang flux capacitor

Name:	100_2829.JPG
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	853028

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit View Post
              To be honest I'm not sure, but believe it is, I've had this at least 30yrs, so what ever Bill Lawrence used back then . You can't see from the bad pic, the wire is pinched where it goes into the epoxy?? I have one shot at chipping in and gaining possibly enough wire to check for a reading.
              Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiPe6f4Oh8E

Comment

its in epoxy, you can look for short/fraying on wire all the way up to the rock hard glue but inside is pretty much inaccessible IME.
                Usually epoxy keeps everything safe but...
                good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                  its in epoxy, you can look for short/fraying on wire all the way up to the rock hard glue but inside is pretty much inaccessible IME.
                  Usually epoxy keeps everything safe but...
                  good luck!
                  And that was my mindset from the start , SOL . Interesting video Antigua , may try it as a last resort. Thanks All !!!

Comment

Hey
                    revisited this today with a dremel , I have a reading of 10.27k ohms , not much wire to work with, but there's hope. Any suggestions on reconnecting to a pigtail

Name:	100_2839.JPG
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	853111
                    Last edited by shortcircuit; 02-17-2019, 09:13 PM.

Comment

This looks like your best bet, but the cover itself may end up destroyed, worth a try though.
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I'd dremel back through as much of the epoxy and brass shield as you need to get enough wire out for your connections. I like to stagger them so they aren't likely to short.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                          I'd dremel back through as much of the epoxy and brass shield as you need to get enough wire out for your connections. I like to stagger them so they aren't likely to short.
                          Sorry I haven't updated earlier ,your post is what I did ,stagger? mm at best , hoping the heat shrink at connections will isolate . Have a working pick up !! But I don't have anything to put it in to see what it sounds like . Yet
                          Thanks to all for your input

Name:	100_2884.JPG
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	853275
                          Last edited by shortcircuit; 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X