Tone stack effect on volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    Yes, but checking the amp schematic I found input stage is built out of a single triode.

So **in this particular case** you might replace that single triode with a 12AX7 and have a "real" extra triode gain stage with little investment.

I bet transformer can feed extra 150mA filament, and you might enlarge the current 7 pin socket hole to accomodate a 9 pin one.

In fact, they might *already* have a noval compatible hole there (since chassis are often built for various models) ; the FET suggestion was to avoid punching a new hole and taxing the transformer, but it looks like "here" itīs not the case.
    I made the chassis, so enlarging it wouldn't be any problem and the transformer is oversized for this application, so that wouldn't be any problem. Thanks.

Comment

Cool.
      Fets (or Op Amps) are used to substitute tubes where space or filament power is a premium but here , not that a big deal.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Adding a front end boost via a FET behind a BF tone stack sounds like a fun idea (at least Dumble thought so ). So absolutely do that if you're interested and like the idea. You'll get no argument from me against experimenting. But...

You could skip it and just add a tone stack bypass switch for getting dirty. Since the amp will get to the edge of breakup now you do have full clean power/watts. With the addition of the second stage cathode bypass cap you'll have a little more gain for the basic, clean tone. That, and a tone stack bypass option would have a good bit more gain than a stock 5f10 for getting dirty. Of course this means no tone stack when the switch is flipped. But once you're clipping much the tone stack is really only used for mitigating LF to avoid flatulence. This could be built in to the switched circuit. And no extra "shtuff" in the amp.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Adding a front end boost via a FET behind a BF tone stack sounds like a fun idea (at least Dumble thought so ). So absolutely do that if you're interested and like the idea. You'll get no argument from me against experimenting. But...
          What would this look like? Something like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fet stage.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	853100

Or would that be a buffer? I don't really know these circuits.

Comment

I've seen it demonstrated a couple of ways. But the circuit is typically indicated as an "input" switched system. So I'm going to guess it's an input boost/buffer. That is, the first stage the guitar sees and before the first tube stage of the amp. Sorry, I'm not a Dumble enthusiast or expert. I just know they included a FET circuit near the input of their BF-ish styled amps. And Dumble never did anything that didn't sound good. Circuit references on line are EXTREAMLY ambiguous.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

That's what I collected from the internet:

dods100.pdf

dprefet.pdf
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Would something like this work?

Fet stage in harvard.pdf

Comment

Notice the two designs Helmholtz offered both have the fet right at the input. Anywhere later in the signal path and you run out of the fet's input headroom.
                  If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                  If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                  We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X