Thread: Need a replacement potentiometer for a Boss ME-25

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/1
    Given: 0/0

Need a replacement potentiometer for a Boss ME-25

The potentiometer for the expression pedal on my ME-25 wore out, so I opened it up and found it was an ALPs RK11K series, 10K ohms.
    My brother has the older ME-20, which still works OK, so I opened it up and checked the potentiometer in that one, also an ALPs RK11K (10K) and using an ohmmeter, it looked like a linear taper. I found the datasheet for the RK11K series and determined that the RK11K1150A3L part was the best match as far as I could tell. So I ordered a couple of new potentiometers. I installed one of them in my ME-25, now the volume function does not work, full volume all the time, Wah-wah still works but not like it used to. Has anyone successfully replaced one of these and if so, what part did you use?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,652/7
    Does it install on a circuit board? Or did you put wires on the pins?

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Does it install on a circuit board? Or did you put wires on the pins?
    It's mounted on a board like this:

Thumbs Up/Down
    OK, so unlikely to be miswired.

You have a ribbon. use your ohm meter to verify continuity from each pin on the pot down to some solder joint on the board at the other end of the ribbon.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Thumbs Up/Down
    OK, so unlikely to be miswired.

You have a ribbon. use your ohm meter to verify continuity from each pin on the pot down to some solder joint on the board at the other end of the ribbon.
    I don't need a lesson in basic trouble shooting. I need an exact part number for the ALPs pot, do you have one?

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    I was trying to help determine why your replacement did not work, sorry I wasted your time.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    I was trying to help determine why your replacement did not work, sorry I wasted your time.
    Apology accepted. I did some more work on it and I now know that the problem is the linear taper. However the other tapers are only available on special order with a minimum order of many thousands of pieces.

So on to plan, B. This will be a Mc Giver type hack, I'll post more on this later.

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 706/1
    Given: 578/1
    Quote Originally Posted by eaelec View Post
    Apology accepted. I did some more work on it and I now know that the problem is the linear taper. However the other tapers are only available on special order with a minimum order of many thousands of pieces.

So on to plan, B. This will be a Mc Giver type hack, I'll post more on this later.
    The taper law simply changes the relationship between the rotation angle and the resistance. Therefore I can understand the linear taper giving you a problem in the wah-wah function in which a mechanical linkage is crucual, but it would not stop the volume from working. You might want to deep a little deeper into why that isn't working.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    The taper law simply changes the relationship between the rotation angle and the resistance. Therefore I can understand the linear taper giving you a problem in the wah-wah function in which a mechanical linkage is crucual, but it would not stop the volume from working. You might want to deep a little deeper into why that isn't working.
    If you disconnect the pot from the foot pedal mechanism and rotate it with your fingers, the volume function works just fine. The problem is the foot pedal restricts the rotation to a small range of the pot's full sweep, that's why a logarithmic taper makes a huge difference in the output voltage on the wiper.

This output voltage goes the a AtoD converter on the main DSP board, it's not like the wah-wah circuit on a Cry Baby where the pot is part of a RC filter circuit, this pot just supplies a DC control voltage. I'll post the voltage ranges later.

Last edited by eaelec; 02-14-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    If you disconnect the pot from the foot pedal mechanism and rotate it with your fingers, the volume function works just fine. The problem is the foot pedal restricts the rotation to a small range of the pot's full sweep, that's why a logarithmic taper makes a huge difference in the output voltage on the wiper.
    Ah! That explains it I didn't realize the volume was also a foot pedal.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 609/1
    Given: 1,425/1
    Have you tried to open up the original pot to see if you can restore it to operational status? Of course if the wiper fingers are worn out, or the resistance track worn out/fractured, or leads broken off, it's no go. Just a thought...... I do that sort of thing a lot on pots that aren't going to be easy to find direct form/fit/function replacements on.

Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,503/23
    Given: 3,807/11
    Yes, it's likely a custom pot that you either need to get from the manufacturer (Boss) or order a thousand (or whatever the minimum is).

I don't need a lesson in basic trouble shooting. I need an exact part number for the ALPs pot, do you have one?
    BTW, for a new member's very first interaction, a rude response to one of the most well-respected senior members (who also happens to be a moderator) is not a very smart move.
    All types of help is appreciated on this forum, and should be acknowledged as such.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Here's the key voltage levels at the wiper:
    .3 volts - "toe-down", the FX pedal light toggles when you drop below this level
    .5 volts - Volume reaches max, does not increase as voltage goes lower
    3 volts - max attenuation, no volume.

With the pot attached to the pedal mechanism, the voltage range is limited from .16v up to 1.17v volts.
    So there is some effect on volume, but the way the human ear works it's not noticeable.

Now if I were to feed the pot with a higher voltage i could fix this, the pedal runs on a 9V adapter so I could tap off of that.
    PS
    I made a real rookie mistake yesterday, voltmeter leads in the wrong way, toe-down voltage is actually 3V, vol. max is 2.8v, min vol. is .3V.

Last edited by eaelec; 02-15-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Yes, it's likely a custom pot that you either need to get from the manufacturer (Boss) or order a thousand (or whatever the minimum is).

BTW, for a new member's very first interaction, a rude response to one of the most well-respected senior members (who also happens to be a moderator) is not a very smart move.
    All types of help is appreciated on this forum, and should be acknowledged as such.
    My bad, sorry to Enzo, was having a very bad morning.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thank you and welcome to the forum.

Just because they don't have tubes doesn't mean they don't have feelings! - glebert

Thumbs Up/Down
    Not sure how hard those are to take apart, but is it possible there is the proper taper available in a different format (other shaft for example) that you could cobble together one from the two?

Thumbs Up/Down
    [QUOTE=g1;522701]Not sure how hard those are to take apart, but is it possible there is the proper taper available in a different format (other shaft for example) that you could cobble together one from the two?[/QUOTE

I'll find out in the morning, as the Blackstar Series One Model 200 is chock full of these pots. Is the part you're looking for 10k Log Taper?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model Series One 200-7.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	52530

I'll also have the mechanical dimensions & disassembly photos from the surgery....this PCB is from my boneyard.

Last edited by nevetslab; 02-15-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 275/0
    Given: 30/1
    You may be able to disassemble both pots and transplant the wafer or wafer and housing assembly onto the new shaft and wiper assembly. Itís tedious but it can be done.. even if you have to encase it in a block of epoxy. You have them already. Why not try?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Not sure how hard those are to take apart, but is it possible there is the proper taper available in a different format (other shaft for example) that you could cobble together one from the two?
    I'm very confident I can take one apart, putting it back together not so much.

If the mod I'm thinking about works, there may be not need to do that.

Last edited by eaelec; 02-15-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo

Thumbs Up/Down

Pot Dissambly & dimensions

I'm very confident I can take one apart, putting it back together not so much.

If the mod I'm thinking about works, there may be not need to do that.
    What's on the Blackstar Model 200 front panel board are Alpha, 11mm size, mounting between the support tabs is 11mm, and between the center line of the support tabs to that of the four pot leads is also 11mm. 8mm dia threaded bushing, 5mm long, shaft length on these are 17mm, shaft dia is 6mm, D-shaft knob detail at the end. PCB Lead pitch is 2.5mm (between the four leads). Photos of the pot & disection:

Name:	100kA-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	52539 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	52540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-13.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	52541 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-14.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	52542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-15.jpg 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	52543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-16.jpg 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	52544 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-19.jpg 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	52545 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-18.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	52546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-20.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	52547

Prying up the four fingers set down into the body's grooves and straightening them allows the resistance module to be removed. The shaft/rotor assembly slides out of the bushing/mounting bracket assembly. Leave the grease on the shaft/bushing insides, as that's your viscosity feel compound. Normally you would clean the resistance track with some alcohol, then apply some Caig DeOxit 5 for lubricant, and brush on a little bit onto the rotor assembly's wiper fingers. I didn't clean this one until after I had taken all the photos, and have more images, only I've used the max 9 images on this post. With the shaft/rotor assy back onto the body, I connected my Fluke 8060A in 200k Ohms mode, showing Min rotation between wiper and CCW terminal (0k), 50% rotation (15k) and full rotation (98k)...this being a 100k Audio Taper pot.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,848/22
    Given: 1,446/35
    Oh well.

Juan Manuel Fahey

Thumbs Up/Down
    Here's the key voltage levels at the wiper:
    .3 volts - "toe-down", the FX pedal light toggles when you drop below this level
    .5 volts - Volume reaches max, does not increase as voltage goes lower
    3 volts - max attenuation, no volume.

With the pot attached to the pedal mechanism, the voltage range is limited from .16v up to 1.17v volts.
    So there is some effect on volume, but the way the human ear works it's not noticeable.

Now if I were to feed the pot with a higher voltage i could fix this, the pedal runs on a 9V adapter so I could tap off of that.
    PS
    I made a real rookie mistake yesterday, voltmeter leads in the wrong way, toe-down voltage is actually 3V, vol. max is 2.8v, min vol. is .3V.
    Good idea. Alternatively, it looks like the PCB in the picture doesn't do anything other than connect the ribbon to the pot. So would it be possible to connect the ribbon directly to a common 16mm pot mounted in the plate. Is there room?

Thumbs Up/Down
    I got it working, but with a little more effort than I originally thought. After I found the mistake in post 13, i realized I needed to pull one end of the pot down below ground with a negative voltage.

So, I tapped +9V off of the back of the adapter jack, then used a simple linear regulator to bring it down to +5V. The +5V feeds into a switched capacitor voltage inverter (ICL7660) which changes +5V to -5V. Then I cut a track to disconnect the end of the pot which was connected to ground and connected that to the -5V (that's the white wire in the picture). Now it would be prudent to add some kind of clamping circuit on the wiper. If the wafer in the pot breaks, it could send -5V into the main board, which would not be good. I tried a simple 3V zener between +3.3V and the wiper but it caused problems, I'll have to investigate that some more. Here's what it looks like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mod.jpg 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	52557  

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nevetslab View Post
    What's on the Blackstar Model 200 front panel board are Alpha, 11mm size, mounting between the support tabs is 11mm, and between the center line of the support tabs to that of the four pot leads is also 11mm. 8mm dia threaded bushing, 5mm long, shaft length on these are 17mm, shaft dia is 6mm, D-shaft knob detail at the end. PCB Lead pitch is 2.5mm (between the four leads). Photos of the pot & disection:

Name:	100kA-1.jpg 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	52539 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-2.jpg 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	52540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-13.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	52541 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-14.jpg 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	52542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-15.jpg 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	52543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-16.jpg 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	52544 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-19.jpg 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	52545 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-18.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	52546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100kA-20.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	52547

Prying up the four fingers set down into the body's grooves and straightening them allows the resistance module to be removed. The shaft/rotor assembly slides out of the bushing/mounting bracket assembly. Leave the grease on the shaft/bushing insides, as that's your viscosity feel compound. Normally you would clean the resistance track with some alcohol, then apply some Caig DeOxit 5 for lubricant, and brush on a little bit onto the rotor assembly's wiper fingers. I didn't clean this one until after I had taken all the photos, and have more images, only I've used the max 9 images on this post. With the shaft/rotor assy back onto the body, I connected my Fluke 8060A in 200k Ohms mode, showing Min rotation between wiper and CCW terminal (0k), 50% rotation (15k) and full rotation (98k)...this being a 100k Audio Taper pot.
    The only RK11K series pot that you can buy off-the-shelf with a log taper is a 20K pot, not a 10K.

Thread Information