No announcement yet.

Best way to cure output osscilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It started with 16db of nfb before tested by ear with the speaker I received for cab. I didn't received any issue till I started to scope found those instability at 300kcps around. Seems reducing the nfb from 100/470 ohm to 100/1500 for ca 6db amount it compromise the response in lows region.
    Thank You for support gents!
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
      It started with 16db of nfb before tested by ear with the speaker I received for cab. I didn't received any issue till I started to scope found those instability at 300kcps around. Seems reducing the nfb from 100/470 ohm to 100/1500 for ca 6db amount it compromise the response in lows region.
      Thank You for support gents!
      The amount of feedback also depends on the OT secondary tap used.

Can you post an updated schematic?

Which HF compensation methods did you try to fight the 300kHz instability?
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

But also the huge amount of nfb don.t help. It seems the OT is not able full power at those frequencies
        "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          The amount of feedback also depends on the OT secondary tap used.

Can you post an updated schematic?

Which HF compensation methods did you try to fight the 300kHz instability?
          The amount of feedback was measured to the output in respect with signal applied but was done at 400cps. I choose 16 ohm tap just for convenience, the tranny have also a 100V tap

Comment

The amount of feedback was measured to the output in respect with signal applied but was done at 400cps. I choose 16 ohm tap just for convenience, the tranny have also a 100V tap.
            If the open loop gain at 40Hz is much lower than at 400Hz, increasing feedback won't help and only cause trouble at HF.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Something to consider, regarding it's use as a bass amp, would be the Ampeg 8x10" cabinet. The way I read it was that the 8x10" isn't actually that good down to 40Hz, but because the second harmonic generated at that low frequency is strong enough the whole spectrum is effectively "implied". So, you could always trim some coupling caps to slightly reduce amplitude at 40Hz. Hopefully reducing the distortion and hopefully getting a similar effect.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

And a sketch

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_230047.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	853224

Edit. Is a misprint regards coupling caps from PI , was 100nf before, reduced at 47nf from yours suggestion
                Last edited by catalin gramada; 03-02-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                  If the open loop gain at 40Hz is much lower than at 400Hz, increasing feedback won't help and only cause trouble at HF.
                  That's all ready happen

Comment

The Ampeg book said that original cab was desined to not reproduce 40Hz anyway due to the onstage noise problems. The natural rolloff was reportedly a bit below 80 as designed. And I think it was absolutely brilliant that way. That's part of why those originals sound so damn good and punchy & clear. It takes advantage of natural human hearing instead of trying to force-evolve us into liking something unnatural. There was also no such thing as a "bass" speaker.

I miss those SVT amps...

Justin
                    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I have my own opinions regards that ,considering always a closed back is better suited for a classic bass tone and imagine how much bass gain you achieve acoustical coupling 8 speakers on the same baffle.

Comment

Those 8x10s are right there right now in your face. If you need a bowel loosener, get a 1x18 and add to the rig.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There's aggressive bass, and internal-organ-jostling. I prefer the former. I also forgot to mention, those old 8x10"s are pretty shallow, by modern-day standards of "bass tone." Huh. Well, I still think they got it right way back then...

Justin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Ok... Just by mentioning the 8x10 cab I managed to derail this thread. catalin gramada has a sort of intense subject going and now I've turned it into a discussion on bass cabinet properties.

My point was simply that you might not need a huge amount of 40Hz to get good bass tone and that it might be ok to minimize the distortion by reducing that frequency. Test by ear of course.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              Ok... Just by mentioning the 8x10 cab I managed to derail this thread.
                              Maybe not.
                              I was just coming in here to say I wished I had a scope shot of a vintage SVT at 40Hz. Part of the bias setup involves a 40Hz signal, and it always struck me when I did those adjustments how funny the waveform looked at 40Hz.
                              Compared to that, I don't find these scope shots that terrible looking.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

BING BING BING BING BING ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And there you go. The real world through the eyes of someone that's seen it.

Comment

Working...
                                X