Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it even possible to upgrade/change my OT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it even possible to upgrade/change my OT?

Hey everyone. Looking to upgrade one (or both) of the transformers on my 2004 Crate V8 tube amp. This is all I got for info on the transformers: - Output Transformer: SLME 94-252-01 (071-10200-000-0) - Power Transformer: SLME 94-252-01 (070-10002-100-0)

​​​​​​​If anyone knows anything please let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jonvolution; 02-15-2019, 06:09 AM.

Please, what model is the amp and what are your upgrade goals?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Amp is a V8. Several Crate's (and a few other amps if I'm not mistaken) used the same transformers. At this point I'm looking to get the last bit of glory that I can squeeze out of my amp. Already changed the OpAmp, speaker, tubes, and clipped two capacitors. Verne Andru style. An upgraded output transformer could get me better low frequency response and overall efficiency. There may not be anything out there, but I've come so far that I have to find out for sure now lol.

Comment

I guess single ended class a, probably a el84. I would say to search for a output tranny speced for that and slightly larger than the stock one, that should get you a little more bottom end.
        http://www.classictone.net/40-18031.html

http://www.allenamps.com/trans.html

Comment

If you want bottom end, try different speaker. NOTHING affects the sound of an amp more than the speaker. COnnect this amp to a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, and you will be amazed at the difference.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            If you want bottom end, try different speaker. NOTHING affects the sound of an amp more than the speaker. COnnect this amp to a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, and you will be amazed at the difference.
            This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even though you've already replaced the speaker, did you replace it with one that has good efficiency and bottom end?.

IME a bigger OT will help with bottom end also though. I might skip replacing the PT unless it demonstrates a lack of being able to handle the current requirements. There's no advantage otherwise. Also, there are probably secondaries on the stock OT for low voltage supply (you mentioned an op amp). So it sounds like a rather proprietary PT design.

I had great success with an OT from Edcor from this line:

https://www.edcorusa.com/xseseries

Something like the XSE10-5k would probably work well. Obviously this is not a drop in replacement and would need to be retrofitted to the amp. One problem with Edcore is their high shipping charge for small orders. But the relative low price of the transformer makes it about a wash compared to other offerings.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Crate Palamino V8.
              A 5 watt amplifier with a 10" speaker.

What bottom end???

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Crate Palamino V8.
                A 5 watt amplifier with a 10" speaker.

What bottom end???
                Hey!!! You need to be more open minded!!!!
                Even skinny models can improve the little they have

To the OP: you may improve measured bass a little , in a Lab setting; but for a real felt/heard improvement go for a larger cabinet.

The job, after all, is to "move air" and a better OT wonŽt help you on that way, sorry.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Sure looks like that chick from Van Halen.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Somebody give that poor girl a sandwich!!!

Comment

SheŽll successfully sue you for destroying her career.

I bet her standard dinner (she eats only once a day) is an apple as main course, and 2 fingers up her throat for dessert.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                        SheŽll successfully sue you for destroying her career.

I bet her standard dinner (she eats only once a day) is an apple as main course, and 2 fingers up her throat for dessert.
                        The sad truth or I would have given you a thumb.

Comment

Working...
                        X