No announcement yet.

1961 Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're a bad imitation of themselves at best.
    As I haven't tried any new Gibsons for some years, I am curious what kind of quality issues their guitars had lately and when the problems started.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Auto Tune may have killed them, lol!

Comment

I think most of what was brought up had to do with the QC at the prices they were asking. The absolute bottom-rung Gibsons weren't too bad, and were as expected for the sub-$1,000 price. What really put them in the crapper was people spending $2,000 for guitars with finish blemishes, poorly set bridges, stripped holes, not holding tuning, etc. And the poor quality extended up into the Custom Shop models for significantly more.

The robot tuners & the $200+ "bumblebee caps" that were $1 parts dressed up in a plastic case probably didn't help at all.

I'm not sure how much of this has to do with the "big-box guitar store" disease, either. Smaller shops will inspect their inventory and ship back sub-par instruments. The local GC won't, and since everyone nowadays is buying either online or from a box store, who knows? Maybe all the junk got left out or shipped instead of returned. And if I were a company, I could get away with ignoring it. For a little while, anyway...

I've been at a shop when an order came in and they opened up a guitar, fiddled with it a few minutes, and elected to send it back, to Fender in this case. For the price they'd have to ask, they wanted their customer to get better.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

What really put them in the crapper was people spending $2,000 for guitars with finish blemishes, poorly set bridges, stripped holes, not holding tuning, etc. And the poor quality extended up into the Custom Shop models for significantly more.
          Thanks!
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Agree with the above. I'll add: When I was younger, you could start a band and make a few buck playing clubs and ballrooms on the weekends. Hell, we could even afford to invest in pretty large P.A. systems. A guitar was a tool and an investment that you'd likely see a quick return on. These days, what few gigs are left pay shit- if you can get one- and they certainly aren't steady for most. I bought a Les Paul Custom in 1978 for 700 bucks. I made that money back easily within a few months. Today, that guitar costs at least 6 times as much and you'll make no more than 1/6 of what you could have made before they changed the drinking age. It's not an economical purchase for most, especially when you can get a CNC (insert brand here) guitar that plays decent at a fraction of the cost.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

It is an investment, but a budding musician also has to ask himself, will I make more gig money with a Gibson Les Paul than I would with an Epiphone Les Paul?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I thought my last sentence said that?

Comment

Hey, I'm old, getting senile.

get off my lawn.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Oh,...... now you're claiming to have a lawn?

Comment

Lawn? Well it reaches my knee, how lawn you want it?

Comment

As far as the OP.. that’s a seriously valuable guitar.. I wouldn’t touch it myself.. especially “backfilling” with super glue and such. I would hate to see such a valuable piece of history messed up any further. Since Gibson is obviously not doing it anymore.. it’s worth it to use a “premier” luthier to restore it. Have it set up and appraised at the same time. Maybe contact “Elderly Instruments” and ask them what to do? What they do with their prize pieces that need restoration? Who they use? They helped me a couple of times identifying rare models. Enzo?

Comment

Fender started out right in 1982 "we are going to make Fender like it was when Leo was here, real and small".Now they own everything,and who has $10,000 and 1 yrs to wait for a custom guitar.I hope Gibson gets bought by some one who really cares and goes back to just a few models like the "old dazes" instead of having to drill holes to lighten the cheap wood there using..I tried to use a New LP and the thing would howl Might as well get a Cibsun custom spec..and do all the hardware and pups yourself. RIP Steve Schrage 1950-1969

Comment

You would need to force i some fish or hide glue using a small suction cup and work fast so it doesn’t get messy.
                            Or call StewMac, nothing new for them

Comment

Send it to a Pro or leave as is.

Trying to do anything by yourself is same as giving it back to the kids.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                                Send it to a Pro or leave as is.

Trying to do anything by yourself is same as giving it back to the kids.
                                Ouwee! Really? A little harsh. Most of us have learned some tricks that work better than a child's perspective, intentions and skill set I think

But I totally agree at face value. It's a guitar that deserves the best. I've got some chops, but they may not be up to THIS. Get it to a pro before anyone involved is even more regretful and sorry.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X