Where can I buy a jewel washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I buy a jewel washer?

Where can I buy a Fender type jewel indicator light washer? I am working on an amp that did not have one and needs one to keep the faceplate down. (The picture is off another Fender amp I have for reference.) Thanks!
    Attached Files

My first inclination was, get some Windex and cotton swabs.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

I have to admit, until I opened the thread I thought it was about a device to clean Fender Jewels.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Me three.
        I was going to ask if a rock-tumbler would do the trick.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There are many tales on the net of people's endless search for the exact washer. From what I've seen, they all end in heartache.
          I'd have a look at the current silver-face re-issues to see if they use them.
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This is how they do it in the newer SF (68 Custom Deluxe Reverb)
            https://darrenriley.com/store/fender...ar-0021741049/
            https://darrenriley.com/store/fender...-2-0032219049/

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              I've used jewel pilots in three amps and they were all the exact part you linked.

I don't know where one might get the exact old washer. A good retrofit might be to use a standard washer of an appropriate ID/OD (Ace Hardware stores usually have a really good screw and washer aisle) and just spray paint it with satin black enamel.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hey! What about this? Looks like it's used for the pilot lamp os some HRD model years as well as the reissue reverb units. I'm not sure but the numbers .482x.709 may be ID/OD dimensions.?. A washer ID for the current jewels like g1 linked would need to be .56 or .57 (I just caliper-ed one).

https://www.angela.com/fenderflatnic...er482x709.aspx

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I haven't taken my 74 Bassman 100 apart in a while, but I'm pretty sure that the actual washer is sort of "pressed" into a vaguely conical shape. Like, a flat washer but shaped. I think that's the issue & why the searches "all end in heartache."

The parts linked are BF style; while the SF amps use something either similar or identical, the faceplates changed & that's why they need the washer on the pilot light.

I hate to say it, but to get a hold of an original & fabricate yourself or to scavenge one from a bombed-out SF amp might hafta do...

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                    I'm pretty sure that the actual washer is sort of "pressed" into a vaguely conical shape. Like, a flat washer but shaped.
                    That's called a "Belleville" washer. I couldn't find any in nickel, but I found some in stainless They're about 1/8" larger in OD than the stock part appears to be. So the circular edge is 1/16" further out all the way around. There may not be any script around the part to worry about. Hopefully the slightly different appearance (or the need to buy 20 of them) isn't a big problem.

These are two different thicknesses (but both pretty thin) in case it matters. I would think the thinner of the two would be best.

https://www.gamut.com/c/fasteners/di...yABEgLzZ_D_BwE

https://www.gamut.com/c/fasteners/di...CABEgLuo_D_BwE

Comment

Unfortunately the Fender brand washer posted is not for the jewel lamp. The washer goes underneath switches.

https://reverb.com/item/6917907-genu...e-switches-etc

I have another idea and will post my results it if works.

BTW, the measurements for the washer is:
                      Outside Diameter: 0.934" (~15/16")
                      Inside Diameter: 0.563" (~9/16")

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
                        Well, then the last washer/s I posted should "work", if not ideal in appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
                          Unfortunately the Fender brand washer posted is not for the jewel lamp. The washer goes underneath switches.

https://reverb.com/item/6917907-genu...e-switches-etc

I have another idea and will post my results it if works.

Are you kidding? Almost 5 pounds for a washer? In what year we are today?
                          "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Here's another washer with the exact dimensions. However, not "Belleville" type, so it's flat. It's also a machine bushing so it'll be steel instead of plated. But, being steel it could be polished and blued. That would offer some corrosion resistance and look snazzy.

https://www.nutty.com/9-16-shim-mach...SABEgKXavD_BwE

Comment

I did notice in my searching that there are nickel plated washers with a 1" diameter that have a smaller than 9/16 ID. If you have a Dremel you could always hone out the hole. Again, flat rather than slightly conical.

My point is that there are solutions such that I probably wouldn't sweat the exact part unless this were to be a museum piece or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X