No announcement yet.

Where can I buy a jewel washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, best option so far I think. 9/16" ID x 1" OD thin and stainless steel (so it can be polished). I don't know why I'm obsessing on locating a washer for this but I hope it helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-16-THIN-A...S!-1:rk:6:pf:0
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'm not sure if the O.D. would be big enough (it's only around .775") but I just pulled a washer off an old 14mm spark plug (NGK) and tried it on a lamp jewel. It would fit with a few strokes of a file or a little grinding.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Ok, best option so far I think. 9/16" ID x 1" OD thin and stainless steel (so it can be polished). I don't know why I'm obsessing on locating a washer for this but I hope it helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-16-THIN-A...S!-1:rk:6:pf:0
        That one looked like a good selection until I saw the price...$8.50 w/shpg for one piece. I've run out of the large washers I've had to use on SilverFace Twins, where the faceplate has come unglued, and gets' pulled out further during extracting the chassis from the cabinet when the baffle's grill cloth grabs hold of it, so you now have a seriously bent face plate! I too would love to find a replacement stash of suitably sized washers at common washer prices!
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
          That one looked like a good selection until I saw the price...$8.50 w/shpg for one piece. I've run out of the large washers I've had to use on SilverFace Twins, where the faceplate has come unglued, and gets' pulled out further during extracting the chassis from the cabinet when the baffle's grill cloth grabs hold of it, so you now have a seriously bent face plate! I too would love to find a replacement stash of suitably sized washers at common washer prices!
          If a standard washer is good enough for you there's the one I posted in #14 that can be had for seventeen cents.

To be fair, it's not a common washer. And it's stainless steel (read-no rust, can be polished shiny). Sans a common sized washer I think it's good that something so suitable can be purchased for under ten bucks. Especially when it's a choice between that or having the face plate stick up. And that's just the one I found. It's possible there's someone out there selling a bag of a hundred for a buck each with free shipping. That's not what I was looking for though.

JM2C

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Depending on the finish you can put up with, McMaster.com has a bunch of Belleville washers.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyP1955 View Post
              Depending on the finish you can put up with, McMaster.com has a bunch of Belleville washers.
              I actually checked there since they've come through for me on several occasions. I didn't find anything as close as what I've already linked in Belleville or even flat washers.

Comment

I ended up finding a bushing at my local hardware store that is 15/16" OD and 9/16" ID. It is a little thick but works.

Comment

I did the same in finding a large washer that was close. Even used a step bit and a vice to carefully make the hole the perfect size. Then, I beat one side of the washer with a ball-pean hammer until it contorted slightly like the original. Used a neck rest made from a denim bag filled with lead shot to support and allow the washer to be shaped.
                  Mandopicker

Comment

Working...
                  X