How coud this Ampeg ever have worked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How coud this Ampeg ever have worked?

While cleaning up an Ampeg V2 that blew up it's screen supply resistor, I discover one of the node resistors is absent, the 3K 5W R53. The solder pads look the same as other missing components, soldered and rounded over and dull as if it were never installed. I know I didn't take it out and forget because I have this picture of how it looked when it arrived before I ever fired up my iron.

So, what is going on here? I have traced thru this area pretty good, and it does look like the only way R52 is getting HV is thru R53, which isn't there. I have not fired it up yet, still replacing things, but how could this amp ever have worked?! The customer bought and did not turn it on before he brought it straight to me.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...9SCcMwPMzKnItg

edit: Nevermind. I did forget the big 5W 3K is mounted on a terminal strip at one of the cans. Sheesh!
    Last edited by Randall; 02-17-2019, 02:28 AM.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Im working on a V4 that has the R53 3K5w mounted on the PCB AND a 3K10w mounted on the strip, which isnt shown on the schematic glued to the lid. Seems like it should have one or the other but not both.

Comment

Originally posted by clintronics View Post
      Im working on a V4 that has the R53 3K5w mounted on the PCB AND a 3K10w mounted on the strip, which isnt shown on the schematic glued to the lid. Seems like it should have one or the other but not both.
      What about R52?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

R52 is there on the PCB its 2K7/2W

Comment

So is the one on the strip is wired in parallel with R53, or wired to someplace else?
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

yes, in essence they are wired in parallel. I think Im going to remove one of them

Comment

Someone must have thought it was missing and installed it on the board.

Comment

Working...
              X