Low gain 12AX7 ECC83 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Sorry I thought you asked if this meant the tube was getting weak.

Did they make a 12AX7 with different amplification factor? No, that would then be a different tube type.
    I believe they did. Wasn't the 5751 designed to work as an electrical equivalent (for all other intents and purposes) to the 12AX7 with a mu of around 70?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

The 12AY7 & 5751 are direct replacements, optimized to work at their best in an identical circuit as a circuit designed for a 12AX7, but neither should be considered a "low-gain 12AX7." They are all three very distinct tube types. It'd be like calling a 68k resistor a "low-resistance and 100k."

If I had a real 12AX7 with a gain of 70 or 45, I'd call it "broken."

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

5751 was an industrial tube, designed for control circuits. The fact it is useful as an audio tube is a bonus.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Good AX7 plate reads 168V

Good AU7 plate reads 68V

The International labelled 12AX7 plate reads 58V
          So you have a re/mis-labelled 12AU7 , period.

Or any of the tubes listed in manuals as 12AU7 replacements.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            No need for a Tube tester: just plug suspect tube in a known preamp position, say the classic 1k5/100k cathode/plate pair.

A 12AX7 will self bias around 150/160V if rail is 250/260V , a 12AT7 will not be far off .... a 12AU7 will be way off.

I think plate will be much lower, probably less than 100V, wouldn´t be surprised at 60 to 80V , since U7 passes way more current than X7 in all cases.

While a well worn X7 will pass less current than expected (lowered emission as Enzo said), so plate voltage should be way higher than normal.

I bet that plate voltage difference should be enough to separate a weak X7 from a good but lower gain U7

Even if both show low gain.
            Bloody brilliant Juan!
            Thanks for the great tip!

Now to try and remember this the next time I decide to go wading into the tube stash. lol
            (Regardless, I saved it for posterity! )
            Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Working...
            X