Amp size and power cord gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp size and power cord gauge

I am putting a new 3 prong power cable on a 72 Ampeg V2. The fuse is rated at 4 amps (in series with an internal 6 amp, what's up with that) and the original cord has no info on the jacket, but it looks like 16 gauge. The hole and retainer will accomodate the old 16/2 (assuming that is what it is), but is too small for 16/3 (at least what I have). Is it safe to go down to 18/3, which is what I put on most other smaller amps? Or is there maybe a smaller diameter 16/3 I could use?
    Last edited by Randall; 02-19-2019, 07:43 PM.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Originally posted by Randall View Post
    I am putting a new 3 prong power cable on a 72 Ampeg V2. The fuse is rated at 4 amps and the original cord has no info on the jacket, but it looks like 16 gauge. The hole and retainer will accomodate the old 16/2 (assuming that is what it is), but is too small for 16/3 (at least what I have). Is it safe to go down to 18/3, which is what I put on most other smaller amps? Or is there maybe a smaller diameter 16/3 I could use?
    18/3 cordage is good up to 7A continuous (30 deg C ambient). 16/3 is good up to 10A, 14/3 good up to 15A, 12/3 good up to 20A.

UL_CSA_Power Cord Current Ratings.pdf
    Last edited by nevetslab; 02-19-2019, 07:55 PM.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Thanks nevetslab!
      It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

(in series with an internal 6 amp, what's up with that
        A common enough Ampeg trick. That is done so that if you blow the 4A fuse and stick a 15A fuse in there instead, the amp still has fuse protection inside.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          A common enough Ampeg trick. That is done so that if you blow the 4A fuse and stick a 15A fuse in there instead, the amp still has fuse protection inside.
          Ampeg was clever enough to know their customer base!
          I've seen enough that I try and remember to check the fuse value of each amp that comes in, regardless of the reason for service (particularly in vintage amps). I just worked on a blackface deluxe which had a 32V/15A fuse on the mains. But I haven't seen the infamous tinfoil bypass mod yet, which is.... encouraging?
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Maybe we should call the internal a "Beavis Fuse" or "Dim-Bulb Fuse." I'll not forget getting my Bassman home & finding a 20A fuse in it... Now no amp comes home without pulling the fuse first.

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I did once find a piece of 1/4" bolt cut to length and stuck in a fuse clip.

In their defense, is was one of those gold plated bolts like they use in car stereo setups.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                I did once find a piece of 1/4" bolt cut to length and stuck in a fuse clip.

In their defense, is was one of those gold plated bolts like they use in car stereo setups.
                I used to see 1/4” aluminum dowel from time to time cut to length in fuse recepticles. That and speaker protection relay covers put on sideways to keep the contacts closed...

Comment

Working...
                X