Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Cube 40GX loudness comparison

Hello :-)

I was wondering if someone can compare a Roland Cube 40GX to a Fender Supersonic 22 combo amp. I know that the Supersonic is a tube amp, but I'm concerned about the headroom on the clean channel. I play mostly jazz so the Cube (40 watts solid state amp) is just enough for me in terms of clean channel volume. Most of the time I play live without micing up my amp. Too bad that Fender discontinued the 60 watt version of the Supersonic because I would buy it in a heartbeat. It's very versatile and that's what I like about it.

So, does anyone play jazz or a similar style of music which requires clean tones on a Supersonic 22?

Donīt have them to compare side by side but in general for clean Jazz you need "more than enough" power, the Sky is the limit, and SS amps can easily give you that.

Rock/Blues Guitar amps need "just enough" so they can crunch and sustain without deafening everybody.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

To me, the right amount of power and volume is always based on the room/audience. For outdoor venues with over 200 people around you playing clean tones, you'll need drivers with >98dB sensitivity and an amp that can supply the required current to keep control of the voice coil. Lots of amps can slap a voice coil around with voltage but for clean tones, you need to supply the current.

Comment

If the wattage and speaker impedance are constant, then the current will be the same, so I don't really understand the statement. You can't 'slap a voice coil around' without current.
        Yes you need more current to increase the power to a given impedance.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

^^^That!

Speaker impedance defines the ratio between voltage and current. All three are related by Ohm's law.

Maybe damping factor/output impedance was meant?
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-04-2019, 12:33 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
          X