No announcement yet.

MOV's AND flyback diodes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A speaker has the inductance of the voice coil, which is in the 5 to 20mH range IIRC, for most speakers.
    Please see my post #11.
    Apparent inductance values of 5 to 20mH can be found only below the bass resonance (50 to 120Hz) of the speaker. Such low frequency content may actually be produced by blocking distortion.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Please see my post #11.
      Apparent inductance values of 5 to 20mH can be found only below the bass resonance (50 to 120Hz) of the speaker. Such low frequency content may actually be produced by blocking distortion.
      Yep, saw that. May be.

That represents a whole other branch of this discussion. It would be interesting to try to set up a speaker to produce kickbacks in isolation from any kind of driving transformer or other magnetics. Can "apparent inductance" result in spikes, or is it a frequency domain only phenomena? I don't know, but it sounds like a fun set of experiments to run to produce the resulting lab data. How does motional inductance get into that?
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

It would be interesting to try to set up a speaker to produce kickbacks in isolation from any kind of driving transformer or other magnetics. Can "apparent inductance" result in spikes, or is it a frequency domain only phenomena? I don't know, but it sounds like a fun set of experiments to run to produce the resulting lab data. How does motional inductance get into that?
        I guess you might call it motional inductance (what is the definition?) as inductance drops to 1mH or below if you block the cone. As there is energy stored in the mechanical cone resonance, disruption of current will produce counter EMF.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-23-2019, 10:05 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
        X