No announcement yet.

Mullard 7 watt clone with oscillation problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I noticed the phase shift too. But I have to rule out operator and strumentation errors first. I plan to swap scope and signal generator channels, to confirm the shift is in the amp.

If so, any hints to what I should check to find the cause?
    Anyway, first We have to make the amp stable with the feedback in. Then We'll address the other issues.

Thanks for the help,
    Giampaolo.

Comment

Just go thru stage by stage comparing L with R until you see the difference.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
        Just go thru stage by stage comparing L with R until you see the difference.
        Maybe not necessary, but I would compare left and right square wave responses at corresponding stages.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If there is any question about the scope or probes, connect both channels (via probes) to the same signal and compare the waveforms.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Hi,
            at last the phase shift was due to operator error : an uncalibrated probe.
            We still have a gain difference (To check later)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlelTeAIElpOhrwXa50TE8f3mA81tQ

I've separated the ground. Much less hum, still some.
            The feedback is still not connected, so maybe the residual hum is due to the higher gain.
            We made a brief music test with disposable speakers and a CD player. No strange noises or distorted sound.

Next week We will reconnect the feedback and hope for the best :-)

That's all for now

Emiliano

Comment

You could check the max power at the onset of clipping. If it's the same for both channels I might suspect that the imbalance is in the grid drive.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

IT'S ALIVE !

Hi everybody,

So:

1) We reconnected the feedback. Both channel are now at the same amplitude, with no phase shift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sin1khzmaxclean.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	853538

2) Checked the stability with a squarewaves at 100Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz. the lower ones seems good, but the 10kHz was too much rounded off.
                3) So, We had changed the feedback capacitor from 600 pF to 350pF, shifting the cut off frequency.
                4) We rechecked for stability. No issues. The square at 10kHz is better:

Click image for larger version

Name:	square_100hz.jpg
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	853539Click image for larger version

Name:	square_1khz.jpg
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	853540Click image for larger version

Name:	square_10khz.jpg
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	853541

I don't have commercial tube amps to compare, but the 10kHz square seems in the ballpark to me, with a -3dB around 25kHz. My other builds are the same or slightly worse (but with worse OTs). Now we have a (calculated) -1.6 dB at 20Hz and circa -2 dB at 20kHz.
                5) With a sinewave signal of 1Vpp, we have a max ouput before visible round off of about 19,55 Vpp resulting in a max power output of 7W on a resistive load of 6.8 ohm, spot on target.

It's sound quite good, with a pair of Klipsch R-15M and an Onkyo C7030 CD player.

Thanks to all for the advices, expecially to nickb for the hint on the primary wires issue.

Regards,
                Emiliano
                (and Giampaolo)

Comment

Working...
                X