Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT-5R MKII Bias Hack

Hi,

does anyone of you know, if there's a simple way to bias the 12BH7 in the new Blackstar HT-5R MKII like there was on the older model (voltage across the cathode resistor R33)?

Best regards!
    Moony

I would suggest that you contact Blackstar.
    They usually respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      I would suggest that you contact Blackstar.
      They usually respond.
      Nothing against Blackstar, I really like their amps - but they usually don't help with something like this at all and tell you to bring the amp to a Blackstar service center.
      Even the screws of the spring-retainer for the power amp tube are sealed with this red paste.

If you take a look into the Blackstar forum on their webpage, you will see, there are countless threads about several topics and even there no one responds. It's such a shame.

That's why I'm asking here if there is already known a simple method without messing around with 1 ohms resistors at the cathodes. I'm very sure, there is a trick for biasing the HT-5R MKII as with the original HT-5R so please feel free to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Moony View Post
        Nothing against Blackstar, I really like their amps - but they usually don't help with something like this at all and tell you to bring the amp to a Blackstar service center.
        Even the screws of the spring-retainer for the power amp tube are sealed with this red paste.

If you take a look into the Blackstar forum on their webpage, you will see, there are countless threads about several topics and even there no one responds. It's such a shame.

That's why I'm asking here if there is already known a simple method without messing around with 1 ohms resistors at the cathodes. I'm very sure, there is a trick for biasing the HT-5R MKII as with the original HT-5R so please feel free to share.
        I haven't been inside the HT-5R MK II model, but, if the power tube board is wired anything like the Model 200 Series One, which also has a common 1 ohm cathode for the four power tubes, I resorted to using a DC current probe to sense the plate current of each power tube (Tektronix A6302 probe/AM503A probe amp). Current read on the scope, sensitivity set for 5mA/Div or 10mA/Div.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Model Series One 200-2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	853194 Click image for larger version

Name:	Model Series One 200-2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	853194

I left the DMM across the 1 ohm common cathode resistor for further reference as I adjusted the bias voltage pot. There is a method measuring DC voltage drop across between the O/T Primary C/T and the plate of the tubes....it will show the total voltage drop for both tubes on each half of the primary. I don't use that method myself, but others here on the forum probably do and can add more details in that method.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I now have found out by myself when taking a closer look at the pcb.

Problem solved!
          Last edited by Moony; 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X