Crate BX50 DLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate BX50 DLX

This came in with a blown TDA output chip. Replaced it and now it's working, however it has a gated/farty distortion thing going on. It's even worse on the lead channel. So it's common to both channels.

High v rails are +/- 21v
    Low v rails are:
    -14.9v
    +13.8v

So clearly a low v supply issue, or a bad op-amp. None of the opamps seem to be getting hot. I can't find any obviously bad components in-circuit in the low v power supply. At this point I was going to replace the filters and 15v zeners and see what happens. Anyone have any ideas aside from this approach?
    Attached Files

I doubt the voltage is low enough to be the cause. Measure the drop across the 220 and 100 ohms resistors on the -ve supply. The current thru the 220 should be > than that thru the 100 for the zener to be doing anything. If they are the same then something is drawing too much current or the design was poor and / or line voltage is too low.

Have you checked the speaker? If that is OK put a sine wave in and scope it until you find the issue.
    Last edited by nickb; 02-25-2019, 06:30 PM.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

The low voltage supplies won't cause drastic effect if they are off a volt.

This affects both channels? Good, just solve for the clean channel, that eliminates a whole bunch of circuits.

Go down the rows of op amps, and check pins 1 and 7 for unwanted DC offset.

Apply a signal, then follow it through teh signal path. Where does it turn sour? Look at TP1,2,6,7.

And yes, try a different speaker. Your burnt up TDA chip could have damaged teh speaker.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys... I'll skip replacing all those components then for now. I already checked opamps for DC offset.

Not a speaker issue... forgot to say I tried others

Comment

Ok, then itīs scope time.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

A scope, or put together a signal tracer using some other small amp.

I am surprised more folks don't use signal tracers. Back in the 1950-60s every shop had a signal tracer. It is like a scope for your ears.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X