Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with re-assembling a ganged switch (on a DBX unit but really any unit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with re-assembling a ganged switch (on a DBX unit but really any unit)

Have this ganged switch in my DBX that I need to put back together. See pic. I have seen these same types of switch in receivers etc. There is a little strip metal tab that lays between the two switches. if if hold that tab down (in the center of the the strip), the switches are ganged fine. 1 pushed in pushes the other out and visa versa. But once I put back the long metal bracket (careful not to dislodge the little metal strips or to push in any switch) these no longer work. If I push on a switch it makes both switches unganged and neither will lock anymore. It's something to do with HOW that metal bracket presses on the strips, but I'm at a loss to figure it out. I'm, sure I have the strip oriented correctly. When I took off the bracket, one popped off but I made a note of the other's orientation. Plus, they don't seem to fit on any other way.

Any experts out there that have dealt with these before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	874400Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	874401

Any chance that large bracket has a top and bottom side? Or is it the same either way, or only fits one way?
    The little strips, do they move from side to side when working?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      Any chance that large bracket has a top and bottom side? Or is it the same either way, or only fits one way?
      The little strips, do they move from side to side when working?
      The top and bottom of the bracket are completely different , won't go on if upside down. The strips move side to side when working (if you hold you finger down on the strip at the center, between the two switches. If you hold either or both ends down, or completely across, or no pressure it it anywhere it does not work. It's like it needs enoguh pressure to hold it in the channels of the two switches but still alows side to side movement as the switches engage/disengage)

Comment

I would then guess that the bracket is putting too much pressure on the strips. Have you had to do any crimping of the bracket tabs?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          I would then guess that the bracket is putting too much pressure on the strips. Have you had to do any crimping of the bracket tabs?
          I'm thinking the same. I actually had to UNcrimp the bracket (top and bottom) to get it off. There must be some critical clearance across this strip, enough to hold in place but not so much as to prevent the switch was working and because of my finger test it seems to matter exactly where the pressure lies and how much. I just played with it for another hour today (after sitting on the shelf for weeks after just about giving up) but honestly can't figure it out.
          If this were a $30 piece I would have given weeks ago but it's worth like $600 so I really want to figure this out!

Comment

Working...
          X