Re-capping hi-fi speaker crossovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-capping hi-fi speaker crossovers?

I've had a pair of hi-fi speakers for about 30 years. They still sound great to me, but I'm wondering if maybe they sounded better when the caps in the crossovers were new.
    So my question is, do you guys think it's worthwhile to re-cap hi-fi speaker crossovers?
    I don't want to ask in an "audiophile" forum.
    Vote like your future depends on it.

Are the caps film? Then no problem. Part of the issue with ecaps is the relentless high voltage they take. Crossovers? Not so much. But ecaps will still rot with time.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of e caps in there.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
        I'm pretty sure there are a couple of e caps in there.
        They would be non-polarized (NP) types. Measuring C and ESR values with an LCR meter would show if they need replacement. Higher grade crossovers avoid E-caps and use more expensive and bigger film types.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Try these if you want to improve blackness,granularity, stereo image positioning and hemorrhoidal pain:

Beeswax HT Cryo Capacitors – Round | Jupiter Condenser
          Description
          Tolerance .001uf – .047uf +/-10%, .1uf – 4.7uf +/- 5%
          Operating Temperature: 70°C <--- beeswax melting point
          Voltage: 600VDC – Tested at 1200VDC
          Pure Aluminum Foil
          Silver 4N Wire Leads 20awg

Controlled Deep Cryogenic Treatment

4.7uf 600VDC $109.00
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

They should look like this
            Click image for larger version

Name:	10187360-3932-2__14510.1510746473.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	853216

Comment

All of them are definitely Electrolytics.
              That said, what matters is actual measured parameters.

So please do as helmholtz suggested.

They *might* have lost capacitance, shifting crossover frequency away from what designer expected, but more important might show high ESR, which would mean attenuation of the "good" signals and poor attenuation of the "bad" ones, but I guess anything below 0.2 or 0.3 ohm should be very acceptable if we are talking 8 ohm speakers.

If within reason, no real need to replace them.

Besides, you like them as-is , so ....

PS: just checked and saw a '76 code on the resistor, so probably capacitors are same vintage.
              You might replace caps with same type and rating, obviously fresh and from a good brand, nothing exotic or overhyped but standard commercial product such as found at Mouser and similar.

We are blessed at having very high quality reasonable priced commercial products from the big guys (Vishay, Nichicon, Panasonic, Epcos/TDK, etc.) , no need at all to go exotic.

And trust way more robotic automated made product than anything made on the kitchen table by candlelight.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                Try these if you want to improve blackness,granularity, stereo image positioning and hemorrhoidal pain:

Right, that's why I didn't ask an "audiophile"

Comment

PS: just checked and saw a '76 code on the resistor, so probably capacitors are same vintage.
                  You might replace caps with same type and rating, obviously fresh and from a good brand, nothing exotic or overhyped but standard commercial product such as found at Mouser and similar.

We are blessed at having very high quality reasonable priced commercial products from the big guys (Vishay, Nichicon, Panasonic, Epcos/TDK, etc.) , no need at all to go exotic.

And trust way more robotic automated made product than anything made on the kitchen table by candlelight.
                  Thanks Juan. That's what I was thinking, I didn't know they were that old though. I bought them new, but they were the floor models.

Comment

Working...
                  X