No announcement yet.

Cathode follower without elevated heater voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, just gotta pop out for a bit. Here's what I got so far.
    Filter caps:

Starting at the first cap -
    #1 482v
    #2 452v
    #3 396v
    #4 380v
    #5 (the one over by the input jacks) 379v (not sure what's up with that. Need to check that the 10k resistor really is 10k, I guess)

Preamp tubes

First tube

Pin #1 377v
    pin #6 381v
    Cathodes and grids all at 0v

Second tube

Pin #1 362v
    Pin #6 381v
    Cathodes and grids at 0v

Third tube (assuming this one of the ones wired as cathode followers)

Pin #1 372v
    Pin #6 380v
    pin #7 380v
    All other pins 0v

Fourth tube

Pin #1 378v
    Pin #2 0v
    Pin #3 0v
    Pin #6 376v
    Pin #7 0v
    Pin #8 0v

Fifth tube

Pin #1 395v
    Pin #2 0v
    Pin #3 0v
    Pin #6 244v
    Pin #7 0v
    Pin #8 2v

Sixth tube

Pin #1 208v
    Pin #2 62v
    Pin #3 90v
    Pin #6 222v
    Pin #7 60v
    Pin #8 90v (jumpered to pin 3)

Edit: The 10k resistor IS 10k Unless the colour band has faded. I dunno why it's not dropping more than one volt

Okay. Power tubes:

All pin #3's 481v
    All pin #4's 445v, except tube #3, which was 447
    All pin #5's -40v
    all pin #6's 448v
    Last edited by Dark Mavis; 03-09-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I have to assume that these measurements were taken with no tubes in?
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I have to assume that these measurements were taken with no tubes in?
        Umm...nope. Should they have been?

Edit. I mean nope the measurements were not taken with no tubes in. All the tubes were in place.
        Last edited by Dark Mavis; 03-09-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Not for initial testing to see that there aren't any obvious problems. But the only useful voltages for any operational diagnosis would need to have the tubes in place. The reason you're not seeing much voltage drop across those resistors is that there are no tubes drawing current though them. My concern right now is that you DO show some considerable voltage drop between some nodes. This could be indicative of shorted or partially shorted power filter caps. You would do well to make yourself a light bulb current limiter to use for the initial power ups between efforts. It could save you some troubles. It's just a 100W incandescent bulb in series (rather than parallel) with the wall AC.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Not for initial testing to see that there aren't any obvious problems. But the only useful voltages for any operational diagnosis would need to have the tubes in place. The reason you're not seeing much voltage drop across those resistors is that there are no tubes drawing current though them. My concern right now is that you DO show some considerable voltage drop between some nodes. This could be indicative of shorted or partially shorted power filter caps. You would do well to make yourself a light bulb current limiter to use for the initial power ups between efforts. It could save you some troubles. It's just a 100W incandescent bulb in series (rather than parallel) with the wall AC.
            The tubes were all in place. I was asking if I should have tested with them out. All these measurements were taken with the original filter caps. I have replacements, but I wanted to get measurements either side of the swap in case there was anything to learn from it. I think I have some light fittings I can rewire to use as a current limiter.
            so...the problem may have been the filter caps all along? I guess I'll replace them all right now and see what's what after that

Comment

Well if the tubes were in place then there are problems other than filter caps. And the filters may not be part of what I'm seeing with those voltages. From the first to the fourth tube and half of the fifth tube you have no cathode voltage. With tubes in place you should have cathode voltage. I think you must have a ground fault for (at least) the cathode circuits for the first four and half of the fifth tubes.

Comment

That would be a new issue, right? I mean, if the amp at least partially worked before, this must be something that's happened while it's been inactive over the years? Oh...I should mention: My dmm isn't automatic. It was manually set on 1000 volts DC the whole time, and doesn't measure fractions of volts at that setting. Maybe that's why it read zero.

Edit. Nah. Turned down to 200v range, where it measures to a tenth of a volt, and nothing on the cathode of the first stage. On 20v range and 2v still nothing (with 2 and 3 decimal places). I'm assuming I'm supposed to be measuring relative to ground, right? IE, the chassis?
                Last edited by Dark Mavis; 03-09-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Mavis View Post
                  It was manually set on 1000 volts DC the whole time. And all measurements were in reference to ground, where the common probe was clamped the whole time.
                  Reference to ground is fine since the chassis is being used for all grounds in this amp with no apparently isolated circuits. But the manual 1000V range could be responsible for the zero (or virtually so) cathode readings. But you do show cathode voltage for half of tubes five and tube six.?. Still, maybe retest cathode pins on the preamp tubes with the meter range set lower and see if that doesn't change anything, AND/BUT, you're voltage drops are such that I still suspect a ground fault.

Comment

Reference to ground is fine since the chassis is being used for all grounds in this amp with no apparently isolated circuits. But the manual 1000V range could be responsible for the zero (or virtually so) cathode readings. But you do show cathode voltage for half of tubes five and tube six.?. Still, maybe retest cathode pins on the preamp tubes with the meter range set lower and see if that doesn't change anything, AND/BUT, you're voltage drops are such that I still suspect a ground fault.
                    Already tried it. At least on the first stage. I'll check the others just to be thourough. Grids too?
                    Last edited by Dark Mavis; 03-09-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Don't trouble with grids before we get cathode voltage. With no current through the tube there should be no voltage on the grid.

With the amp off and voltage drained, please test resistance from the preamp tube cathode pins to ground (chassis).

Comment

Don't trouble with grids before we get cathode voltage. With no current through the tube there should be no voltage on the grid.

With the amp off and voltage drained, please test resistance from the preamp tube cathode pins to ground (chassis).
                        Okay.

First tube
                        Pin #3 806 ohms
                        Pin #8 99.8k

Second tube
                        Pin #3 5.5k
                        Pin #8 5.5k

Third tube
                        Pin #3 2.6k
                        Pin #8 95.5k

Fourth tube
                        Pin #3 986 ohms
                        Pin #8 1.47k

Fifth tube
                        Pin #3 1.47k
                        Pin #8 1.47k.

Sixth tube
                        Both 22.5k (jumpered)

Also, it's the first and third tubes that are wired as cathode followers. The first stage in the signal path is in the second tube. But that arrangement seems to make sense in terms of where they connect to the board. When I say "first tube", I mean the one physically farthest from the power supply side of the amp, and not neccessarily where they are in the signal path

Comment

If we take from your measurements that the cathode resistors are in place and wired as they should, then the reason for zero volts at the cathodes - and the reason for the high node and plate voltages - is that the tubes are not conducting. A fault in the heater wiring? If Chuck concurs, I'd suggest measuring heater pin voltages if not done already.
                          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                            If we take from your measurements that the cathode resistors are in place and wired as they should, then the reason for zero volts at the cathodes - and the reason for the high node and plate voltages - is that the tubes are not conducting. A fault in the heater wiring? If Chuck concurs, I'd suggest measuring heater pin voltages if not done already.
                            Concur. I hadn't thought of it before you mentioned it though. I thought it would be obvious if the tubes weren't lighting so I was looking for something else.

Comment

Concur. I hadn't thought of it before you mentioned it though. I thought it would be obvious if the tubes weren't lighting so I was looking for something else.
                              They're under covers, so, I haven't looked. And the last thing I tried on this amp all those years ago was elevating the filaments on the preamp tubes. I may simply have forgotten to reconnect something. I'll take the covers off and see if the heaters are glowing, then check the voltage

Comment

So...across the filament windings on the mains transformer, that powers the output tubes filaments - 6.3v. Across the separate transformer that powers the preamp tubes filaments - 7.2v. Also, the first four tubes ain't glowing. I dunno if there's a little short somewhere. The tube sockets are really badly wired, so maybe. I think I']m going to rewire the filaments anyways. The wire is in the way when I'm trying to measure stuff.
                                Maybe the filament transformer is screwed, and that screwed the filaments? Or the other way around?
                                And I really don't like that little circuit board with the channel switching relay on it, that's kind of hovering right over the fifth preamp tube. It's sitting right on the filament wire. In fact...looking at it now, it looks like the filament wire isn't even connected there, but the board hid that from me

Edit. Nah. It's connected

Comment

Working...
                                X