• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dark Mavis View Post
    After that, I got a 1978 Orange that's basically just a pile of parts
    Sounds like fun. And it might have been a simpler start this Torres amp
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Sounds like fun. And it might have been a simpler start this Torres amp
      Much simpler. Electronically all it needs is a touch of assembly. It's just a mess. It's more a restoration than a repair, so...tough decisions to make. Like whether to re-cover. The cab has a burn mark on top that's been used as an ashtray for years. I'm thinking I may be able to turn the cab upside down, leaving just the screw holes from the sleds, rather than a giant burn. Or...I can re-cover it. The torres was uncovered when I got it, and covering that was pretty easy. There's also a hole in the faceplate. There's no way I can re-fill it and cover it up cus...Orange! I'd have to re-paint the whole plate, and I know nothing at all about silk screening or whatever they did. Guess I'll have to put a switch or pot in that hole and then decide what purpose to give it. Guess I'll just clean the grime off and then decide. That's gonna have to be a different thread.
      There's also a hole in the grille cloth, and one of the speakers is not original. The hole was always there, and one of the speakers was always dead. Don't tell anyone, but I may have moved the dead speaker to be under the hole, and then stabbed a guitar headstock through there. I'm too cheap to destroy functioning equipment, except a few Marlin sidewinders. But they had a habit of destroying themselves if you were ever foolish enough to try to use the whammy bar.
      Though...I wonder what caused the hole. There's no serial number on the cab, so I can't check its history, and I don't think it's from the same period as the head. Even when I got it...in like 1996, it looked like it had been gigged hard for years. The head still has its inspection tag and serial number, so maybe I can at least find out if it was bought new by someone famous

Comment

• I had a Marshall head like that. Not a super collectible model. A 50W JMP master volume with the big, square illuminated switches. Before it got all grimy, torn and scratched up someone had covered it in white Tolex, hacked a hole in the side for a fan, hacked some holes in the face plate and chassis for another big, square switch (that was there, but not connected to anything?) and a couple of mini toggles. There was a band name spray painted in stencil on the back, but I can't remember now what it was. The name in the amp chassis, and on the inside of the cabinet and on the outside of the chassis written with a black Magic Marker was "Jay Rosignolo". Many years ago I managed to find a few pictures of the guy on line. I know it was him because you could see the white Marshall in the background of one of the shots. This was after I'd already parted the amp out. The transformers are in an amp built and owned by our own big_teee. He got them in trade for some really great strat pickups he makes that I loaded in my main squeeze. But after seeing the pictures of Jay it was clear that this guy LOVED to gig and play rock and roll. And that amp was clearly used hard and long. I had pangs of regret for hacking it further and then parting it out. If I had my druthers I might have cleaned it a little, snuffed it up electronically and just given it back to him (if I could find him?). The way it looked in the photo's I can't imagine anything other than hard and unfortunate circumstances separated him from his passion and I'll bet he would have been stoked to see that old turd Marshall. Oh well. No backsies sometimes.

EDIT: Well it's a snow day here on Whidbey, sooo...

I looked up Jay again and it turns out he died a couple of years ago. I don't know the circumstances because I didn't have the heart to dig into it. But a friend of his has managed to post up a couple of his demos on the web. Not a real good player as it turns out, but not bad. It hardly matters because all the photos I've seen are of him with a guitar or on a stage. He was what I call "the real deal". He just loved to play his guitar. Gotta respect that. As it happens it seems to me he probably got rid of the amp because it was obsolete for the direction he was going in with his playing. You can see in the (very grainy) photos below, the old white Marshall in the first photo and him later in life with his multi channel Marshall uber gainer. So now I don't feel so bad about the amp. But of course it's sad anytime a true believer leaves our ranks.

Attached Files
        Last edited by Chuck H; 01-15-2020, 12:09 AM.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

I had a Marshall head like that. Not a super collectible model. A 50W JMP master volume with the big, square illuminated switches. Before it got all grimy, torn and scratched up someone had covered it in white Tolex, hacked a hole in the side for a fan, hacked some holes in the face plate and chassis for another big, square switch (that was there, but not connected to anything?) and a couple of mini toggles. There was a band name spray painted in stencil on the back, but I can't remember now what it was. The name in the amp chassis, and on the inside of the cabinet and on the outside of the chassis written with a black Magic Marker was "Jay Rosignolo". Many years ago I managed to find a few pictures of the guy on line. I know it was him because you could see the white Marshall in the background of one of the shots. This was after I'd already parted the amp out. The transformers are in an amp built and owned by our own big_teee. He got them in trade for some really great strat pickups he makes that I loaded in my main squeeze. But after seeing the pictures of Jay it was clear that this guy LOVED to gig and play rock and roll. And that amp was clearly used hard and long. I had pangs of regret for hacking it further and then parting it out. If I had my druthers I might have cleaned it a little, snuffed it up electronically and just given it back to him (if I could find him?). The way it looked in the photo's I can't imagine anything other than hard and unfortunate circumstances separated him from his passion and I'll bet he would have been stoked to see that old turd Marshall. Oh well. No backsies sometimes.
          It's always fascinating to think about the history of amps and guitars and where they've been and what they've seen.

Here's Jay tearing it up on SoundCloud:

https://m.soundcloud.com/jay-rosigno...t-it-rip-0-8-1

I wonder if that's his white Marshall you can hear?

If you Google him, it's there in one photo.

Edit: simultaneous postage! RIP Jay

Comment

• Originally posted by minim View Post
            Edit: simultaneous postage! RIP Jay
            Yep. R.I.P. to Jay. Clearly "Da Man" among his fans and friends because his vestiges are still traceable on line

Something about the amp... It had the (I'm certain) original "mustard caps" in it. Now, mustard caps are "vintage", but the master volume models are not. So this must have been a very early master model. I did own one other JMP master volume amp and it had the box caps in it.

My thinking now is that it's eloquent that a guy making outstanding pickups is using the transformers (PT, OT and choke) from this amp in a vintage clone to better refine his own art and so Jay's amp just keeps giving to the cause And I'm hopeful (and intending to be helpful) that Mark's amp (He said I could call him Mark ), the Orange will enjoy greater respect and continue to find useful avenues in the cause.

And my apologies to Mark is he finds this off topic aside on his thread a problem.

Comment

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Though you mentioned that resistor before I hadn't looked into it. I'm surprised at the 47k value though. On the return jack for the effects loop recovery you typically want a somewhat higher impedance. When the loop is not in use (and assuming the switching jack is working correctly) that 47k would be parallel to a 6.8k and the reverb circuit load. But if you were to plug a cord into the return jack and leave it unterminated or if it's plugged into a device without a reference to 0VDC the recovery triode could actually become damaged. I'd hang a 1M resistor there rather than a 47k. Really. I think it's schematic error or Dan was off his meds that day.

And can I call you Mark anyway
              Is 3.3 meg okay? The only 1 meg resistors I could find were 5 watts. Ran out of daylight today. Or rather I used it for other things. But I Can still upload the demo of the problem. I'll just make it private or unlisted

Comment

And my apologies to Mark is he finds this off topic aside on his thread a problem.
                Not a problem. I ran out of solder anyways. Got caught thinking I had plenty, and there's nowhere to buy it here. I have to wait for EBAY.

Comment

• SOlder shows up in many places. Often hardware stores have some - being careful to get electrical solder, not plumbing solder. Hobby/craft stores sometimes have it as well. And I bet a lot of electronic repair places would give/sell you a small amount. Places that repair TVs, amps, whatever. I would certainly give a guy a foot or two of solder off my roll.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    SOlder shows up in many places. Often hardware stores have some - being careful to get electrical solder, not plumbing solder. Hobby/craft stores sometimes have it as well. And I bet a lot of electronic repair places would give/sell you a small amount. Places that repair TVs, amps, whatever. I would certainly give a guy a foot or two of solder off my roll.
                    The nearest place is a Screwfix a few miles away and I don't drive. But I was in the area yesterday, so I picked some up...at a horrible price. Then, I got home and the stuff I ordered off EBAY had arrived...a few days early. That seems to happen a lot

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp_SchematicJan21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,002.6 KB
ID:	856543

This is where I'm at right now. I'm a bit unsure about everything between the relay and the driver. I'm thinking of just using G2 for everything after that first triode of V4. Also: I ran a wire from the sleeve of the output jack to G2, even though it's not an isolated jack. I'm thinking of doing the same with the reverb jack. Not sure if it's necessary or even a good idea or not.
                      The mains transformer was really loose. I guess I never got round to tightening it down. I think that's where a lot of the extra hum came from. Just gotta cram everything back into place now, to find out

Comment

• Right, I re-did all the grounds. I think I made an updated schematic showing the new ground scheme. But other projects took over. Tomorrow I'll test the amp again. If the problem still exists, we're kinda back to square one, but at least I now know where everything goes, and the whole thing looks a little less like a bowl of noodles, and the grounding makes more sense. Then...I dunno. i gues it will be time to start measuring again

Comment

• Like all progress tests the results might be mixed. You might find that the noise and controllablility has improved, but the amp lost a little something? More likely you'll have improved things and you still won't be happy Speaking from experience. "Ok, I achieved 'really good'. But I want great... Or perfect."

Comment

Like all progress tests the results might be mixed. You might find that the noise and controllablility has improved, but the amp lost a little something? More likely you'll have improved things and you still won't be happy Speaking from experience. "Ok, I achieved 'really good'. But I want great... Or perfect."
                            Well, I'm still working on "working".

Comment

Working...
                            X