Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 4 x 10 Speaker Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 4 x 10 Speaker Replacement

I have HRD here that needs a complete new set of speakers. How someone managed to blow all four I'll never know. That's determination for ya.
    The problem with these is the power transformer is real close to the top left speaker meaning the choice of suitable candidates is limited. So limited if fact that so far I haven't found anything.

Anyone done this? What did you use?

Maybe go for a 3 x 10
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Not familiar with this amp. What is the problem: Speaker/magnet depth or magnet diameter?
    Maybe a picture would help.
    I am thinking of (Recoton) Jensen P10R alnicos.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It's the depth / dia of the frame of the speaker. I tried a Celestion one 30 but the power transformer fouls the frame before the chassis is fully in place. Need at least another 5mm. I don't think the budget will stretch to alnicos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4441.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	853255

Comment

I don't think the budget will stretch to alnicos.
        But you would only need one. If you post critical dimensions, I could verify with the Jensen alnicos.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          But you would only need one.
          Ain't that the truth

If you post critical dimensions, I could verify with the Jensen alnicos.
          Thanks. I'll measure up and get back to you late tomorrow. It's hard to find detailed dimensional data on speakers, so I've found out.
          Last edited by nickb; 03-04-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Why not just get original replacements?
            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

How about Eminence Fender Model 1030V ? If you cannot find specs, contact Eminence directly. They are VERY helpful.
              It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                Why not just get original replacements?
                No longer available

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                  How about Eminence Fender Model 1030V ? If you cannot find specs, contact Eminence directly. They are VERY helpful.
                  Well that is the original part so there's no question about it fitting. I've tried to find a used one in the UK but no luck yet, but it's early days.

Comment

You reminded me of that weird fender custom shop model with 3 speakers.
                    Vibro-King? Wonder if that's why they did it?
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks. I'll measure up and get back to you late tomorrow. It's hard to find detailed dimensional data on speakers, so I've found out.
                      Some data shown here:
                      https://www.thomann.de/gb/jensen_p10...ZSI6ImVuIn0%3D

Please note the 30-day-money- back-guarantee.

And here:
                      https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/pdf/20...alogue_TAD.pdf

A cheaper choice would be the Jensen ceramic type C10R. I think it shares the frame with the P10R.
                      Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-04-2019, 09:18 PM.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                        You reminded me of that weird fender custom shop model with 3 speakers.
                        Vibro-King? Wonder if that's why they did it?
                        I think the 3x10 Vibroking was inspired by the vintage 3x10 Bandmaster.

The vintage 4x10 BM and Concert combos needed to have one speaker mounted with its end-bell (magnet cover) removed.
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-04-2019, 10:18 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If perspective isnīt cheating me, you donīt have a magnet problem but transformer cover touches frame.

If so, magnet choice wonīt help you, "every Factory has its own set of frame dies" and uses them everywhere.

Put original speaker facing down on a table or shelf, and the Celestion you have just by it, then post a sideways picture showing both side by side.

Repeat with any other 10" you have available, for now we only care about frames to decide on a brand.

I guess original one must have been some kind of Eminence .
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

If I'm not mistook, the speakers you're trying to replace are those blue painted Eminence that Fender liked to use in the early 90's. Found in Vibro King as well as some other amps. Yes they disappeared by late 90's when the Recoton Jensens became available, cheaper no doubt. I found those blue-frame speakers to sound very harsh, and every time I replaced one or more with a ceramic magnet Jensen C10Q or MOD10-35 the owner was pleased. If the owner of the amp managed to trash all 4 blue alnico Eminences, I worry that he's going to do the same with the lowest power Jensen or Eminence speaker. So we're back to experimenting with whatever you can get your hands on, that will physically fit. FWIW I like the Jensen C10Q and MOD10-35 but it's a matter of "will it fit?"
                            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Well, if you customer is *that* heavy handed, he may always:

results are not even half bad
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X